Friday, September 23, 2022

Reading Farmer H's Mind

NO! Don't try this at home! You can't possibly read Farmer H's mind. You'll cause your noggin to explode from twisting your own gray matter into knots, trying to figure out what Farmer H means!

Wednesday around 12:30, Farmer H sent me a text:

"HM I got some leftover chicken from the senior center it's barbecue chicken I'll bring it home tonight for supper it's at Ponys in the refrigerator"

Farmer H never met a piece of punctuation that he liked.

Anyhoo... I assumed we would be having some legs and thighs of BBQ chicken. Some sides. Each in a styrofoam container like when he brought me that Reuben sandwich. On the phone later, when I asked what sides he had with lunch, he said some salad and sweet potato waffle fries, and a slice of cookie pie.

Imagine my surprise when Farmer H walked into the kitchen with ONE styrofoam container, the size you would put a hamburger in.

"Oh. I thought we were both having the BBQ chicken for supper."

"We are! There's plenty there for two people."

"That's the only container?"

"Yeah. It's just the chicken pieces. For sandwiches."

Here's what he brought, after I already took half of it out to warm it:

 
"That's what I told you. It's barbecue chicken pieces."

"PIECES mean PIECES! Like legs and thighs."

"This IS pieces. It's... it's..."

"It's PULLED chicken. Like pulled pork. You could have told me. We have buns to eat it on. You acted like it was actual PIECES of chicken. Like fried chicken."

"Well, this is what it was. We had sandwiches of it. FOUR of the old people who live upstairs in the apartment THREW THEIRS AWAY! Just dumped their whole tray in the trash. They get theirs for free, but I don't think they should waste it like that. They told the gal they didn't like it."

"Yeah. It's too bad it got wasted. But I guess they didn't know they didn't like it until they ate it. And then it's to late to put it back."

"They can't even save it if it isn't touched! They got rules against it."

"Did you pay for this?"

"No. They can't sell it. There's rules against that too. But instead of throwing it away, they gave it to me. I hope nobody finds out. Them other guys would get mad."

Farmer H. He's always got connections. The chicken was delicious.

2 comments:

River said...

technically, it is pieces of chicken and looks tasty too. Like you, I would have been expecting thighs and drumsticks. But free chicken is better than no chicken.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I have no complaints about the taste of the chicken. Only the surprise of getting BBQ chicken for SANDWICHES, when I thought we'd each be getting a complete meal. So I had to whip up some broccoli and cheese for a side dish, when I thought I'd have a night off from dealing with supper.