Friday, September 2, 2022

Mrs. HM Is Full Of Beans

Monday night, I chopped up the rest of the ham I'd used for Farmer H's ham steaks, and started a pot of beans. Did the quick boil and rapid soak method. Saved the ham to add later, when the beans were mostly done. I put in some black pepper, juice from a jar of Sweet Banana Pepper Rings, a spoonful of minced garlic. 

After simmering with the added ham, those beans were not to my liking. The ham wasn't fatty enough. So on Tuesday morning (meaning noon:30), I fried up a pound of that auction bacon we still have in the freezer, and added it. Much better!

Now the other problem. When I went to Country Mart on Monday for some Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, all that dang store had was Jiffy with HONEY corn muffin mix! Nobody wants that in their beans! Beans are savory! So I got the store brand of corn muffins. Surely they would work just as well.

Sadly, I bought eggs to add to the corn muffin mix, but not milk! We don't drink milk, and it was not on my mind. A quick consult with my estranged BFF Google showed that sour cream can be used 1 to 1 as a substitute for milk in baking. Well, there you go! I had plenty of sour cream. So I used it.

The muffins came out just right. They didn't have as much flavor as Jiffy, but that was probably a factor of the different brand, and not the sour cream for milk. They were nice firm muffins, not at all crumbly like the Jiffy sometimes.

Here's my beans:

 
Yes, it's a generous bowl. I am LITERALLY full of beans! My bowl is layered with crumbled corn muffins (1.5), diced Sweet Banana Pepper Rings, diced Vidalia onions, and of course BEANS. Mmm... so tasty. In fact, I could eat only a bit of that muffin stump slathered with butter. That's okay. My little dog Jack LOVES corn muffins. Of course I had my Shasta Diet Cola cooling in an old refill mug from Git n Go, when I lived in Springfield, MO. And my metal water juggy thingy.

I love my beans! The ones I can find under all the ham, bacon, peppers, onions, and corn muffin.

5 comments:

River said...

There are beans in that bowl? Are your sure? What colour are they?

Sioux Roslawski said...

Full of beans? There are times when I would say you're full of something else, but this is "G" blog...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guarantee it! They are Great Northern beans. So they're beige in color. Look at the right side of the bowl, between where 3 and 4 would be on a clock. There's one! More are below, since I layered my bean bowl. The corn muffins crumbled first, to soak up the juice. Then the beans, then onions, then peppers.

***
Sioux,
I can't imagine what you are suggesting, Madam! Oh, wait! KNOWLEDGE! You mean I'm full of KNOWLEDGE! And don't want to put that out to The Universe, to look as if I might be bragging about it on my "G"ood blog!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I love beans! My son is coming for a visit with his fiance who is from Peru. She doesn't speak English, but her daughter will be coming and acts as translater. I asked what I should cook while they are here and I was told she wanted to experience some southern culture while dining at my table. I will certainly oblige her with some tasty collard greens, fried okra, fried green tomatoes, rice and beans and fried chicken and meatloaf. Homemade biscuits and honey will also be on the menu. I had an aunt who would serve the same menu anytime company came. Always fried chicken (chicken used to be the cheapest meat, remember?), mashed potatoes, rice and gravy, and macaroni and cheese. Biscuits and cornbread. No vegetables!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
She will have to stay a while and sleep it off!