Thursday, March 18, 2021

A Real Jackhole

Farmer H sent me a picture on Tuesday. You never know what you're going to get from him. In this case, it was a picture he took of a real Jackhole.

When the weather is REALLY, REALLY cold, I ask to bring the dogs in. Not to sleep in our bed under a ratty SPECIAL WEDDING QUILT, but in the basement, in the workshop, where they can slumber in a crate on an old towel. Nope. Farmer H decrees no dogs in the house. The only exception being during a tornado a few years back, when we couldn't entice Juno inside.

Anyhoo... Farmer H's logic is that Juno has an insulated house right up against the side of the Mansion, out of the wind, with a pile of cedar shavings to burrow into. Yes. That's true. Farmer H says that Jack has a house too, if he wants it, on the other end of the house, also full of cedar shavings and out of the wind, as there are two dog houses with doors facing each other, one sometimes a guest dog house for Copper Jack.

However, my little Jack does not like to sleep in a dog house. He prefers the hollowed out hole in the gravel under the Gator. Except in cold weather, when he goes to sleep over by the goat and chicken pen, now bereft of goats and chickens, but still with a metal shed holding hay.


There it is. A REAL JACKHOLE! The bed Jack has burrowed out for himself in the hay bales, surrounded by walls and under roof. He's a smart little guy, although quite stubborn. Lest you misunderstand, I'm talking about JACK.

Don't go feeling sorry for Jack. He's an outside dog. All dog. A dog's dog. He might be happy inside for ten minutes or so, to be near me, but after that, he'd be bored to tears. He'd have the legs chewed off the couches, and the recliner shredded with his spade-like paws' claws, and I daresay my CROCS wouldn't stand a chance. Farmer H's leather boots would give Jack indigestion. He's most happy running free, keeping an ear out for invaders in his kingdom.

That last part could also apply to Farmer H...

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

That is quite a substantial hole, but perhaps it's wider than it looks.

Yes, Jack is a smart dog. He knows what he needs to do to stay warm along with staying happy.

Sioux Roslawski said...

And I agree. Four flamingos is a bit pathetic...

River said...

I agree that dogs should live outside and only come in during storms and on Guy Fawkes night when the pops and bangs might spook them. The rest of my family don't agree with me and our dogs have lived in and outside depending on their whim. At least they didn't chew the furniture although one did make a huge mess of the laundry door, almost ate right through the bottom corner. That was the one that turned on me later and I had him put down.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That hole is a whole hay bale deep, and as long and wide as a bale, too. Once Jack starts digging, he doesn't like to stop. The mole holes in the front yard-field are more proof. Farmer H said Jack has a hole burrowed in under one of those hay bales, too.

Jack has that weird coat, with the bristly outer-hairs and the fine under-hairs. I'm sure he'll be swimming in the creek or the fake fish pond by April. I guess maybe his tiny mouth means he might overheat from limited panting!

Sioux 2,
I think FOUR flamingos is a good way to have them stolen! Not enough hardship carrying them inside. Twenty or thirty, I'd leave in my yard.

***
River,
Yes, the dogs always made themselves scarce on the 4th of July. They'd hide out over by the BARn, in one of the lean-to areas, where Farmer H also had a lot of hay bales stacked.

I love my dogs, but I know they're dogs. Animals. It only takes a second, if they're startled or scared, for them to forget how much they love you, and do what an animal does for defense. It worries me when people leave their little kids unattended with a pet. Animals have teeth and claws for a reason.

I wouldn't object to having a dog in the house. My childhood miniature poodle, Buster, was a house dog. Jack is NOT a house dog!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Jack knows best! Bet my Bo would love to go on a run with Jack. He spends more time outside than my others.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Jack is very bossy, wanting to be top dog over everyone but Juno. He even torments big ol' Copper Jack, jumping up to bite him on the snout. The worst he's done with Juno is bite onto her tail and hang on while she ran around the field trying to get rid of him! As long as Bo would let Jack be top dog, they could have a good time, being all feisty and barky and hyper.