Monday, March 29, 2021

Orange, Solo Cups

We use more Solo cups around here than a college frat house! You know the ones, the red plastic glass with the white insides. Used for playing Beer Pong. (I almost said just PONG, like the very first video game that we had on our TV and thought was SO entertaining.)
 
Farmer H uses the red Solo cup for ice and whiskey and Diet Mountain Dew or maybe Diet Coke if he can steal one from me. Or for the Sparkling Grape Juice that he bought 12 bottles of, and has 7 remaining. The Pony uses the red Solo cup for wine. Yeah. We're high-class drinkers.
 
The pack of red Solo cups used to sit on the tile floor right inside the pantry. It was a double pack, two stacks. I guess Farmer H and The Pony got tired of bending to get one every week, so one of them put the pack on the cutting block. I'm betting it was Farmer H. The Pony is lithe, and bendable like Gumby, and doesn't imbibe as often.

The pack of red Solo cups has been diminishing. When I was in Save A Lot on Friday, I saw another pack. The knock-off kind. I forget their name. I put them in the cart. When I got home, The Pony carried in the bags and put away most of the few groceries, like Granny Smith, a bag of oranges, bananas, and Key Lime Pie Granola Bars.

"Oh, Mom. You didn't have to buy Solo cups. We have a lot of packs in the pantry. I saw them when I cleaned it out."

"Well. They didn't cost much. Under two dollars."

I walked past the cutting block, and picked up the almost-empty pack.

"I'm tired of you guys leaving stuff out and never throwing the wrapper away! Look! There are only four Solo cups left. How hard is it to stack those four cups on the cutting block, and throw way the plastic wrap that's holding them in two columns? There! Now it takes up less than half the room."

Um. Less than a minute later, I took my net bag of oranges out of the Save A Lot sack. I surreptitiously set them on the side counter, while taking out the two remaining oranges from the old net bag, and stuffing it into the wastebasket.

Some things are more of a privilege for the goose than for the ganders...

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I figure if I make a mess on the floor, it is only going to be ME cleaning it up. The same for lots of chores around the house. That means if I make a mess or forget to do something (like get rid of the packaging of something that's almost empty) it's no big deal, because it only puts off what I am going to do later. No one else will be doing it...

The goose needs all the good, rich goose food it can get, and all the comfy nesting spots it can find, because living with a gander can be a pain.

River said...

Ooooh! Now we know what you did! But don't worry about it, I know gazillions of people who do exactly the same thing. Not me, I can't stand seeing a pack of anything with only one or two items left in it. I'll throw away that packaging faster the you can blink.
I do know of one person who used to buy large bags of oranges and apples and just dump them in a corner near the table, and if the old bag was still there too bad, that person "just didn't see it" even when it still had fruit in it! So after a while the bottom of the pile would have mushy mouldy fruit and zillions of those tiny black flies hovering around. Now THAT is bad housekeeping. Your method is fine.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
GOOSE POWER! Not quite the same ring as "TOWANDA!" But the meaning is the same.

***
River,
SHUSH! I'm not telling The Pony.

Another confession... I've been telling The Pony for a week now to toss a bag of apples off the back porch. They're little red apples that Farmer H got FREE from the Ponytail Guy a long time ago. Nobody was eating them. They are as small as those served for school lunches! Smaller than a tennis ball, slightly bigger than a golf ball. The apple-eaters in this house walk by that bag on the kitchen table several times a day, knowing full well that they don't plan to eat them.

I know there's one bad apple in there spoiling the bunch, because today I could smell a ripe apple. The Pony said he would carry them around the garage and pour the bag at the edge of the trees. His excuse being that Farmer H was MOWING (hopefully not just COMBING) the yard right then. It better be gone when I get up tomorrow morning! As a GOOSE, I feel entitled to delegating such duties to the GANDERS.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sometimes I devote an entire afternoon to getting rid of packaging and combining open packs of duplicate items. HeWho is not going to do it and the dogs aren't. Leaves me to take care of it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't know if I've mentioned it above, but I found the NEW pack of red Solo cups sitting on the cutting block beside the 4 left! AND the apples were still on the counter! It's like trying to keep a prairie from turning into a forest. Eventually, it's gonna happen, though much sooner in my kitchen than in nature.