Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Mrs. HM Is No Rat

Orb K changed their floor plan a couple weeks ago. Instead of having a space for three lines to wait for their three registers, with a couple of food coolers with wraps and sandwiches running perpendicular to the lines... they've put in a MAZE!

That's right. They put four or five shelf/rack dividers in the shape of a maze. Stocked with candies and mints and gum. I've gone through it twice. One time when there were about 10 people ahead of me, and the line stretched out of the maze all the way to the soda fountain. It takes a lot of room to stay six feet apart.

Anyhoo... I went into Orb K for scratchers on Monday. There was ONE register open, and one customer. The register is next to the scratcher display propped against the front window. The customer was gathering up his stuff, four cans of Red Bull, a sandwich, and some chips. It took longer than I expected, because the clerk didn't give him a bag, and he was trying to balance it.

Since he was leaving, I knew I was next. I saw no need to go across the store to the entry to the maze. I stood at the corner of it, some 10 feet back from that customer, waiting for him to pass me so I could walk up and have my turn.

Since he took so long, a guy who had come in just ahead of me had picked out his items, and was heading for the registers. He saw me there, and knew I was next. He hesitated a moment before entering the maze. I think his plan, too, was to stand at the corner and wait for me to get done.

I don't know if my scoff-maze antics set off that clerk, or if she was just a hateful hag. I'm thinking the latter. She was not cheerful. She did not greet me. She acted put-out when I greeted her, and asked for scratchers. 

I can't help it that Orb K has their lottery tickets coming out near the bottom of the counter. Surely I'm not the only one who make Clerk bend over during her shift. I asked for a pink Lady Luck ticket for The Pony. It's an old one, and he likes the flashy colors. Clerk snapped, "We don't have that one!"

Well then. I suggest they take it out of the display, tape a scrap of paper over it that says OUT, or learn how to say, "Sorry, we're out," in a less venomous manner.

I don't know what her problem was, but she'll have the same problem again if I come in and there's only one customer ahead of me. I am NOT walking through a maze just because it's there.

8 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

And I think you need to tell her a couple more things:

One, tell her what orifice she can stick a scratchers ticket the next time she's that cranky and two, keep asking for the Pink Lady ticket. See if she gets aggravated enough that she makes a sign to let customers know they're out...

River said...

I had a whole comment here and accidentally closed the comment window :(
We have the same maze system here in our "two dollar" stores, which are called "Cheap as Chips", although they are no longer as Cheap as Chips and neither are chips. Chips aren't exactly cheap here either. anyway, I walk through the maze because I don't mind.

Sioux Roslawski said...

That "Angry Uncle Leo" episode is one of my favorites. Every time I think of those Sharpie eyebrows of his, I chuckle.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I will not tell her where to stick a ticket! My own ample rumpus is exposed (by position, not by mooning) all too often, and I fear retaliation. I might keep asking for it, though.

Sioux 2,
I also enjoy Elaine at the doctor with her dog bite. "Bang-bang, not woof-woof!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXdl31QWCE

***
River,
Surely you are not saying that you ARE a rat! With such a maze, they might as well rename that store: Cheap as Cheese. You know. For a rat. In a maze. It won't matter, since cheese is also probably not cheap, just like chips.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

"You don't like your job, do you?" is what I would have said, then asked to see the manager. But I like Sioux's suggestion , as well!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I generally try to avoid throwing gasoline on a fire... whereas you are not afraid to blast it with a fire hose of premium octane!

River said...

No I am not a rat, but I think mazes are fun and wish I could grow one that leads from my gate to my front door. Of course I would need a house with my own yard for that.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's good to know. Because if you WERE, it would make you a RIVER RAT!

No maze for me! I would be lost. I'd have to sit down and ration my 44 oz Diet Coke. Maybe two ounces per day. Hopefully, I would have a bag of Burger King food to help me survive, before my ample rumpus started digesting itself. Juno might find her way to me, and I'd have to share. My Burger King, not my ample rumpus! I'm not sure she would go for help like Lassie, and I'm not sure help (in the form of Farmer H or The Pony) would come looking for me.