Monday, March 15, 2021

Early To Bed, Too Early To Rise, Makes A Farmer Subject To Hundreds Of Whys

Daylight Savings Time has returned! Saturday night, I set back the clock in my office, and the clock in the basement living area. I knew my phone would update itself. I'd have to check upstairs to see what Farmer H deigned to reset. There's no rhyme nor reason to it. 

I was still wide awake, watching a DVR of Tough As Nails, the reality competition on CBS Wednesday nights, when I heard Farmer H stumping through the kitchen at 5:45 a.m. I heard the laundry room door. The back door. The water running in the laundry room sink for the pitcher to fill the dogs' water bowl. Then the kitchen door slam as Farmer H left! At 5:50 a.m.!

That was a little strange. Even for Farmer H. He leaves for the Storage Unit Store so he can be there by 8:00. Sometimes a little earlier, so he can get his not-quite-clandestine Casey's donuts. But 5:50 a.m.???

I went to bed around 6:00. Still dark outside. When I got back from town, I brought up the topic with The Pony.

"Do you know why Dad left so early this morning? It was before 6:00!"

"I heard him. I don't know why. He didn't mention anything."

"Maybe he wanted to run by the Devil's Playground first. He mentioned something about picking up some Diet Mountain Dew himself, while he was in there, in case you weren't going for a few days. Maybe he went to see if they had any of those bullets that they'll only sell one box at a time. Maybe he has a buyer for them today."

Later in the evening, as I was getting supper ready, I asked Farmer H himself.

"WHY did you leave before 6:00? It was still dark!"

"Well. I messed up. I set my clock before I went to bed."

"How can that make you leave an hour early? You set it AHEAD, right? Spring ahead, fall back. When you left at 5:50, it was actually 4:50 a.m. in yesterday's time!"

"I know. I got up around 5:30 to go to the bathroom. I came back and laid down and looked at the clock. It was going on 6:00, but I thought it was going on 7:00. I didn't remember setting my alarm clock. So I thought it was actually going on 7:00 with the time change! I didn't realize the real time until I was in the shower. Then I was already ready to leave. So I did."

"And WHO says that I can't remember anything? I don't remember stuff you convolutedly explain to me, but I'm SURE I could remember setting my clock!"

I guess Farmer H was kind of lonely sitting at his Storage Unit Store waiting for sunrise. Oh, yeah. He'd set the bathroom clock. But he left the living room clock and the microwave clock for me.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Sittin' by the clock of the day,
Watchin' the...

That's all I got.

River said...

Here in Aus, we're waiting for daylights savings to finish. Sometime this month I think. I hope. I honestly don't see the point of it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
HICKory dickory dock
The Farmer effed-up the clock
What the Not-Heaven
He thought six was seven
Heh, heh! One more reason to mock!

***
River,
Here, it's nice for a change. I don't mind it. The lazy days of summer draw out, with more light to sit on the porch with the dogs in the evening. It's not fully dark until around 9:00 p.m. In the dead of winter, it's black-dark by 5:00.