Sunday, March 21, 2021

This Here's Flubber Duck

When The Pony and I started home from Domino's on Friday, we had to wait at a red light for our left turn.

"I hope these guys ahead of us pay attention. This light isn't very long, compared to the size of the intersection to get through. I don't want to sit through another red light if we miss is. They might have adjusted it for this time, though. It's when all the school buses come down from the bus barn to go pick up the kids. I saw 7 of them yesterday in a row. They had 'em a convoy! Remember that song? You used to like it when you were riding behind me on the way home from school."

"Yeah. I remember it."

"It's from the 70s. My favorite part is the Jesus freaks in the van."

"Long-haired friends of Jesus."

"Yeah. The long-haired Jesus freaks in the Volkswagen van. I love that part."

"Chartreuse microbus."

"YEAH! That's it. Chartreuse! That's a good word. Chartreuse mini van."

"Mom. It's '11 long-haired friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.'"

"Well. It IS my favorite part! Even if I don't remember it quite right..."

Heh, heh! If you're feeling nostalgic, here's a video. Original song, but the video is from the movie they made about it.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It's sooo nice that you have The Pony to correct you... repeatedly.

I guess that's a service he provides in exchange for his room and board, right?

River said...

I saw that movie and now of course I have to listen to the song. And maybe track down the movie too.

River said...

Remind me why the police were trying to stop the truckers? I've forgotten.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My girls do that! It is almost like they resent me having a warm fuzzy memory! My son, however loves me more and will let me go on and on, then tell his sisters they should appreciate me more. He is my favorite!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Just one of MANY services provided by The Pony! Denial of anything I say is his main tactic. He gets it from his dad, of course!

***
River,
I never saw the movie, but I like the song. Have I told you my favorite part?

River 2,
From the song, I'm pretty sure it's because they didn't stop to have their trucks weighed and their papers checked. There are weigh stations along the highways, to check their logs to see if they've taken enough "rest" hours off the road. And if the trucks are overweight for their license, they get a fine. That one sign said they tore up their "swindle sheets" and left them lying on the scales. I think. It's not my favorite part...

Also, they were speeding.

***
Kathy,
Genius will join in, even if making fun of me, and we laugh until we can't breathe. The Pony is a bit dry, and sticks mainly to correcting the record (as he remembers it). They are each my favorite, at different times, depending on the situation.