Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Here's The Joust Of It

The Pony has plans for one evening this week. He's going out to eat, and then to the local bowling alley. I don't press for details. I'm glad he's getting out of his room. Anyhoo... he hasn't been bowling in a long time, even though he used to bowl in a league during school years. He had his equipment at college with him, but I think he only went once or twice.

"Do you still have your ball and shoes in the car?"

"Yeah, but my shoes are still broken."

"Oh, well. You can rent shoes. I don't know if they have a mask requirement there or not. I guess they'll have a sign on the door."

"Um. I will be wearing my mask anyway, Mother!"

"I was just wanting to make sure you had one with you."

"I will be wearing it because I CARE about protecting others."

"OH COME ON! You know that's a flat-out lie!"

"I DO care about people, just not people who are trying to perpetrate an insurance scam against the Devil's Playground, like that lady who fell down and you wanted me to help her up."

"I don't care if you wear a mask or not, but you know darn well you are just VIRTUE SIGNALING! You have never cared about helping people! So get down off your high horse! In fact, if you were riding a high horse, you would just as soon knock somebody off their own high horse with a... a... JOUSTING STICK... as you would be likely to HELP them! What do you call those jousting sticks, anyway? I'm sure there's a name."

"A lance."

"I thought a lance was a spear. With a pointy end like an arrow."

"They're about the same thing, except the end of a lance for jousting is made of blunt wood, not a pointy arrow."

Still. The Pony is not fooling me one bit! Get out of here with that HELP PEOPLE crap! Besides, he knows an awful lot about jousting...

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Good for the Pony trying to protect others! That is the part that most people don't seem to get, the mask does not protect you, it is for others.

River said...

"...my shoes are still broken."
After all this time? And he hasn't thought about getting them fixed or replaced?
Tsk Tsk

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The point here is that The Pony has never cared about helping other people. So I don't buy his words to this effect. It would be different if he was even an intermittent helper, but he never has been. Not that he's selfish. It just doesn't occur to him, and when prompted, he hasn't seen it as anything he's interested in doing. Like helping a woman who slipped in Walmart a few years back, when I told him to give her a hand to get up off the floor.

I still don't understand how those masks know to work only one way. It keeps you from breathing OUT virus, but not from breathing IN virus. Coughers and sneezers shouldn't be out in public anyway. The Pony is not spraying people with sputum and snot, he's healthy as a HORSE, heh, heh!

***
River,
He doesn't bowl all that much, since the league. He definitely needs new bowling shoes if he's going to start bowling again.

Sioux Roslawski said...

How are men's shoes broken? They're worn out. Too old to wear anymore. But broken?

Is this evening out involve a girl? Will Our Little Pony be snorting and cavorting with a little filly?

I can't wait to hear the deets, whether it was with a girl or not.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's how The Pony termed them: broken. I presume the stitching has come loose, or the sole got a crack in it.

There was indeed a filly in The Pony's plans to strap on the old feedbag. However, the event will need to be rescheduled, as a more pressing duty kept the filly in the paddock, as a companion for other livestock.

I don't want to press for details and make The Pony skittish.