Sunday, March 14, 2021

The Universe Has Been Busy Conspiring

Contrary French Cousin Unfair Robert reared his antagonistic head Saturday.
Starting around 4:15.
 
THE INTERNET WENT OFF!!! 
 
Of course that was right after I sat down with my lupper of fried chicken and a salad. It coincided with the exact moment I heard Farmer H’s tread on the basement steps. Or perhaps it’s just a coincident that I noticed the outage at that time. I’d been watching a YouTube video (a slot machine player), and it stopped. I thought it was just being cantankerous about loading, even though I play back at 240. Nothing extravagant. 
 
Anyhoo… I hollered through the wall to King Farmer H, who was in the counting house, counting out his money. He declared that he had no idea why the internet was off. I tried to text The Pony, but my texts wouldn’t send. So as Farmer H went back upstairs, I told him to ask The Pony about the internet.  
 
“It’s off. When it went down, I just came out to make my supper.”  
 
“Is the weather bad? Is it down from the weather?” 
 
“Hmm. The sky is cloudy. Looks like rain, but no rain yet.”  
 
Well. Sometimes that happens. I let it go. Got out a DVD to watch on New Delly. Every now and then I gave the internet a try. Sometimes it worked. Briefly. Off and on. All night. At 11:30, I got sick of it, and went to unplug the router and the DISH satellite that gives us internet. It worked long enough to load a couple pages. Then down again. Not sure if it’s the weather. MY BILL IS PAID! 
 
I was quite displeased to see, upon entering the workshop for the unplugging, that the big hose for the dryer vent is hanging down where my head will hit it. AND there’s new junk piled in front of the wooden workshop bench where I lean to the wall to reach the electrical outlet. A cedar chest. The big box that the Christmas tree (still up!) goes in, some assorted DVD players, two baseballs, and a camouflage soft gun case.
 
In fact, there’s a week’s worth of stuff to discuss with Farmer H during “This is the time of day we talk about the most recent thing you’ve done wrong.”
__________________________________________________________________
 
I used my down time to type this up in WORD. I figured I might as well try the troubleshooter for the eleventeenth time. No solution. Just no internet connection. THEN I decided to give my old stand-by a shot. SYSTEM RESTORE! Funny how an update had occurred the DAY BEFORE, at 3:55 p.m. Almost as if my internet problems started 24 hours after that update....
 
For a couple days, New Delly had been saying something had stopped working. So I did a restart, and it was normal again. But now I saw that ANOTHER update had happened on March 8. SO... I chose the last update point (March 2) from before my issues started. Uh huh. I closed out everything. Was ready for my final click to start the system restore... when I noticed the hateful yellow triangle was gone from my internet icon!

Yep. I threatened a SYSTEM RESTORE, and New Delly shaped right up. I'm pretty sure that's a coincidence...
__________________________________________________________________
 

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

New Delly was quivering in fear, I imagine.

BTW, I was at someone's house where they drink nothing but bottled water. They were raving about Dasani water, how it was soooo much better than a cheaper brand. I tasted the Dasani, and said I couldn't tell the difference. They were aghast.

Later, when I left (for a three-hour drive) they offered me a bottle of Dasani. I told them, "I am not Dasani-worthy."

River said...

Perhaps the problem is with the updates taking so long to update every little thing and the whole works can't get going until that is finished.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's as it should be! New Delly shall rue the day he let Microsoft infiltrate himself!

At least you weren't drinking that NAIVE water. I mean EVIAN! As for not being able to tell the difference in high-fallutin' water and the cheap stuff... You, Madam, would make a poor Goldilocks, and you might as well resign yourself to sleeping on a mattress stuffed with peas if you stay overnight.

***
River,
It happened AGAIN today, at 4:15! At least it quit the on/off connection problem by 7:30 this time. That's when I got back downstairs, after telling The Pony, "I WILL do a System Restore if this continues!"

I have it set NOT to update. It kept trying to give me Windows 10 for the longest time. I'm running out-of-support Windows 7 Professional. I don't know what this crap is that's updating. It always says something about security. I know that's not to help ME, but rather to help THEM access my information. That's the conspiracy theory, anyway...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Did you miss my Seinfeld reference? Could it be that one slipped by you unnoticed?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
MISS IT? Are you kidding? I got it right away. Just insert THE SPONGE in place of the DASANI. So I pictured you sipping on a... well, that was disturbing. So I guess I then blocked it out and didn't respond in kind. Hit is: You should have taken the proffered Dasani, and you could have RE-GIFTED it to somebody else!