Sunday, March 7, 2021

Roll Me Away Is More Than Just An Earworm In Mrs. HM's Waking Head

For the past three or four days, I've been waking up with the same song in my head. Bob Seeger's "Roll Me Away." I hear it often on my quest to procure my 44 oz Diet Coke. Not a big deal. Sometimes I wake up hearing country tunes, sometimes the classic rock. I always associate "Roll Me Away" with that Mask movie, with Cher and Eric Stoltz.
 
With winter a fading memory, I've been enjoying my daily town trip. Bright sunshine, temps in the upper 50s. No jacket. No slippery roads. Which is not to say that the road hazards have disappeared...

I think I know why I've been waking up hearing "Roll Me Away."


Saturday, I saw something in the road as I approached the ill-fated pole that took out our electricity during the ice storm. What in the Not-Heaven? From far back, I thought it might be a hay bale. Something that was going to cause a problem if left there, because the road is not nearly as wide as my phone camera makes it look. There's barely enough room for two cars to pass. Someone would have to stop, to let the other get around this obstacle. Those are side-by-side tracks there by it. Not from a full-size car. As you can tell, T-Hoe is off the road edge as I stopped to get the picture.


That's a big fella. I guess it must have fallen off a trailer from somebody hauling wood. It's not like a lumberjack was out here felling trees across our gravel road.


No way could I budge that behemoth, even if I'd wanted to get out and give it a try. When I came home, it had been rolled off to the side of the road. Maybe somebody with a strong teenager did the task. I don't think The Pony could have moved it. Sadly, if Farmer H had encountered it, he might have come home for the tractor, to go pick it up for his rock garden. Farmer H loves logs.

I forgot to ask him if he saw it on his way home from the Storage Unit Store.

8 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Looks like some of the logs here in the park! But mine are hauled to the wood pile to be split for fire wood. If they can get it there before I stop them to look at the haul to see if I want some of them for my own purposes. That one would make a nice flower pot if there were holes drilled in each part (I saw three) to hold the dirt and plants. Perhaps this is why HeWho refuses to stop on his way to the wood pile?

River said...

I would love to have that in my garden too. Maybe I'm more like Hick than I thought.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Even I thought that log had a nice shape, with the three parts. That said, I had no desire to claim it for my own. I can envision it as your flower pots, but would never cultivate such a plan to fruition.

HeWho is probably having too much fun driving his vehicle to the wood pile! Little does he realize that if he stopped for you, there would be items for your project that he'd need to pick up in town.

***
River,
Every day I'm thinking that same thing about you! Not in a bad way. Except maybe the "trying to kill me" part.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I guess I need to rewatch "Mask" because I don't remember that song as part of the soundtrack. However, to be fair, I always consider Bob to be the lesser Seger. My favorite it Pete Seeger...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Google is a wonderful thing. I found it! Watching the credits, I even saw that a "Golden Girl" was in the movie. I WILL have to rewatch it... if only to hear Sam Elliot's voice.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Bob is the only Seeger for me. Unless maybe that little gal character in "An Officer and a Gentleman," who was called SEEE-GAR by Louis Gossett Jr., like in cigar.

Sioux 2,
If I remember, it was when he was putting push-pins in the map. Or maybe at the end. Haven't seen it in a long time. I DO remember that Sam Elliott was a major plus, because let's face it, the Rocky character wasn't too easy on the eyes...

River said...

Damn! Now I'm going to have to find Mask and watch it. I like Sam Elliot. Unless I'm confusing that name with someone else...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
"Mask" is really a good movie, but it DOES tend to make me cry. I like Eric Stoltz in "Some Kind of Wonderful," where he doesn't make me cry.

And I like Cher in "Silkwood." I think it might have been her first movie. It's also got Kurt Russell and Meryl Streep.

As for Sam Elliot, he's got a small part in "Roadhouse," which is a terrible, but very watchable, movie starring Patrick Swayze. Which is enough to make me tune in when I see it playing on DISH.