Thursday, March 4, 2021

Hillmomba, We Have A Problem [Again]

You know I'm a fan of pinwheels. Not the chocolate and marshmallow cookies that are so tasty. Nor the wind-spinning toy on a stick. I mean the meat and cheese tortilla roll-ups that I occasionally have for lunch. The Devil's Playground got me hooked, and then smallered their sizes, and eventually discontinued them. Or else customers got there ahead of me, and lined up like ball-boys at Wimbledon to grab them off the deli shelf before I got there.

Anyhoo... I found pinwheels again last year at Country Mart. Which is now called Harp's, but will always be Country Mart to me. You know I've had issues with the Country Mart pinwheels. The last issue being the two tall twin towers in the middle of the pack. Well. Their size, and the fact that I gave them to The Pony, and he said there was a giant spot of mold on the tomato. 

On March 2, I found two packs of pinwheels in Country Mart. They've been missing for a couple weeks. Perhaps not so much missing, as relocated around the corner to the cheese case, and no longer by the hot deli counter. I stopped to look at them. You can never be too careful of expiration dates in Country Mart. 

Aha! The first container had an expiration date of March 1. I put it back, and told the little old lady waiting for me to get out of the way, "Uh uh! No way am I buying something that's already a day past the date!" I reached for the second container of pinwheels. It was good until March 4. It was also heavier than Genius's 12-pound cat, Genius, who let out a feline UMPH! every time he jumped down from the side porch. Okay. Maybe not quite 12 pounds for the pinwheels, but they were heavier than normal. The cat Genius was indeed 12 pounds, verified by our vet during a checkup, with advice to slim him down.

Anyhoo... I couldn't wait to get home and show The Pony those pinwheels!

 
Country Mart has a bit of a quality control problem. Goldilocks would not find lunchtime satisfaction there. You have your GIANT pinwheels, and your emaciated pinwheels.

Heh, heh! If my two regulars, Sioux and River, could have joined me for lunch, I would have spared a pinwheel for each of you. River would get the one up top, on the right, because she has farther to travel, and needs more sustenance. Sioux would get the middle squished pinwheel on the left, because she would only burn that energy for nefarious purposes, such as fiddling about with the soda fountain at the Gas Station Chicken Store.

Oh, lookie here, Sioux! A closeup of your pinwheel:


Feast your eyes on that, because your stomach will be going hungry as it devours the other side:

 
Hope that doesn't leave you too bloated to make mischief. River's portion was actually better-looking on the flip side. But where's the fun in taking a picture of THAT?

I will say that the fillings were fresh, and the meat of a thicker thickness than usual. I will be keeping an eye on this pinwheel situation. Some further sampling might be necessary. You know. For quality control purposes.

3 comments:

River said...

Interesting how even in the one package they can't get the sizes and fillings even.
I'm glad you found them again though.

Sioux Roslawski said...

It's the story of my life. I get the janky ones. The messed-up ones. The what-is-up-with-that ones.

You know, I would come and visit you, but the Gas Station Chicken Store has a poster up--and my picture's on it.

I don't want to risk it...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm glad I found them, even if I have to watch the expiration dates. When you eat a pinwheel from Country Mart, it's either feast of famine!

***
Sioux,
You get the famine pinwheels! While I feast. Yes, you are framed amongst the winning scratchers that are used as wallpaper along the front wall of the Gas Station Chicken Store. Don't go thinking that means you're a winner...