Friday, March 19, 2021

My Discomfort Over My Comforter

When Farmer H decided to take my SPECIAL WEDDING QUILT for possible repairs of the tatterment that he'd inflicted along the top edge... he wanted to replace it on the bed with my comforter.
 
"Where's that comforter we used to have on the bed? Pony? Is that in the hall closet?"
 
"I think so."
 
"Wait a minute! You tore up my SPECIAL WEDDING QUILT! I don't want you to put my comforter on the bed and tear IT up next!"
 
"It's OUR comforter, HM."
 
"No. It's mine. I had it before we got married. We only used it for a little while in the middle of winter, at the old house, when Genius was a baby. I got it when I worked at the insurance salvage store! It was a brand new return, in the boxcar lot we bought from JC Penney."
 
"Whatever."
 
"No, it's not whatever! I've learned that what's yours is yours, what's ours is yours, and what's MINE is ours! I like my comforter. I don't want it ruined by your breather hose. We can use that blanket that's on the bed. The gray one you put ON TOP of the quilt, but shoved it over on my side every night."

"I don't want to use that blanket. It's too hot."

SERIOUSLY? In what universe is a blanket hotter than a comforter? That comforter is all soft and fluffy and full of comforting stuffing, and 10 times warmer than a thin gray blanket.

Farmer H only wants to use it because it's MINE! What did HE sleep under before we were married? Let's use THAT!
_________________________________________________________________

I need to look in the hall closet. I DID have an older comforter, which is white with brown plaid, that I wouldn't mind using. It's not real big, though. I had it in college, so it's probably a full size, not queen. The comforter that's a bone of contention is queen size, and a multi-colored gray plaid on white background.
_________________________________________________________________

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Give him his very own blanket and you get yourself one, too. I have my own, it is a necessity. HeWho never pulls the covers straight up, he pulls at an angle and leaves me coverless. Okay with me, he uses too many and it gets too hot, my quilt is just right for me.

River said...

I'll repeat what I've said before: separate beds! So you can each have your choice of bedding. You can push them close together so there is space on either side, just leave a few inches so Farmer H can't roll up in anyone's sheets but his own.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Stand firm. Don't give in. If you do, soon you'll have nothing that belongs to you. He'll take your old blue sweatshirt, and turn it into a rag to use in one of the sheds. Your clogs will be turned into chip bowls. Your desk will get converted into a work bench.

Don't succumb.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
There's an empty dog house on the end of the porch, with a soft bedding of cedar shavings...

***
Sioux,
Don't bring up Old Baby Blue! You KNOW what he wants to use it for, and it's NOT a shed rag, but a "cozy" to cover a certain appendage!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H likes the covers over his head, and I do not. It's very hard to push my half of the blanket down towards my feet! Impossible, even! I don't like sleeping under a quilt, because it feels heavy. I much prefer a fluffy comforter, but I am not going to let Farmer H ruin my favorite!