Sunday, October 15, 2023

After All That

After agonizing over the interception of the $3 crossword scratcher that I gave The Fave at the Gas Station Chicken Store... turns out that it was a LOSER! I gave it back to her, in an envelope as an early birthday card, and she reported that it was not a winner.

I guess all that stress was for naught. I wasn't worried in the least that a ticket I bought was being held by the owners of the GSCS. Once I give a ticket away, it's not mine. Whether it wins or loses is of no consequence to me. I hope it wins, because that's why I gave it away. But whether it wins $50,000 or wins nothing, I don't have a right to rejoice or to resign myself to a loss. It's not mine!

My only worry was a bad outcome for The Fave, if she got in trouble for accepting it. Looks like the owners just regarded it as a lost ticket. So no penalty. I'm quite relieved about that.

However... it's too bad The Fave didn't win anything. 

3 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I never give a gift with any expectations, either. My mother was just the opposite and if she gave you anything you had to be prepared to follow her wishes or she would haunt you forever! Too bad it wasn't a winner, that would have been heartwarming for you!

River said...

That is too bad, but there's always another chance, she could buy her own ticket and win one day.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
One time I gave HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) some scratchers for taking care of our dogs while we spent a weekend in Oklahoma visiting The Pony in college. It was when he lived out here on our other land, so only had to ride the 4-wheeler a quarter mile to get here. He won $100! I was truly happy for him. Didn't even consider it a loss for me. I just like to give people a chance at a life-changing win. You never know which ticket will hit the jackpot.

***
River,
Yes, she plays those $3 crosswords. She tells me when she has a good win, and where she got it, so I know not to get a ticket there for a while. I've had a really good couple of days with wins from the GSCS, so I have a ticket to give her next weekend when she works again.