Monday, October 9, 2023

Good Deed Regrets

Mrs. HM has once again stoned a hornet's nest with her attempted kindness! 

Remember how I was concerned about the absence of my favorite clerk at the Gas Station Chicken Store? Well. On Thursday (I think), I found out she was back. I told you so here.

Anyhoo... I had been across the street buying scratchers at the Liquor Store. I wrote on the back of them to indicate where I got them, and put them in my purse. They were by the winners I was going to cash in at the Gas Station Chicken Store, my next stop. On my way in, I looked down as I was putting my phone in my pocket, and saw that I had also picked up a $3 crossword with my winners. I thought about just stuffing it in my pocket and leaving it there, but no good can come of a lottery ticket in a pants pocket.

Anyhoo... once I stepped inside and saw that The Fave was back, I was so happy that I decided to give it to her. I know she plays the crosswords, because she has told me about her winners, and where she gets them. Which is not at the Gas Station Chicken Store. There might be a rule about that.

Anyhoo... I related in that earlier post how the customer ahead of me, who was leaving, got into a three-way conversation with us about The Fave's bout with pneumonia, which had caused her absence. As I handed her my winners, I gave her that $3 crossword from the Liquor Store. "Here. I had a good day yesterday. Good luck!"

We were still having that three-way conversation about pneumonia as The Fave turned to scan my winners. She set the $3 crossword on a counter by the window while she was scanning my winners and stapling them together with the receipt. The previous customer left, I got my new tickets, and then I left. Didn't think any more about it until the next day.

The Fave said that she had forgotten about the $3 crossword, and left it on that shelf. Apparently the owners found it the next morning, and were perplexed about why it was there. This info came to The Fave from a clerk who worked an earlier shift. The owners checked it and saw by the code numbers that it was NOT from a roll in their store. They had it in the office, trying to decide what to do with it.

They did not mention it to The Fave. She was worried that she might be in trouble, since that ticket appeared during her shift. I told her I would be fine with talking to the owners, if they had questions, to explain that ticket. There was no need for The Fave to be in any trouble. It was not a ticket from that store, and I had given it to her.

Three days have passed, and the owners have not brought up the issue with The Fave. I thought about calling to explain, but figured it's best to let events proceed at the owners' timeline.

I will be devastated if this gets The Fave into any trouble. I've given tickets to other workers at other places, and I put my dollar change in the tip jar at the Liquor Store when a certain guy or gal is working. It's because they are pleasant and do their job efficiently, not because I garner any favors from them. AS IF they could predict what tickets will be winners!

I swear, if there are repercussions, I will never do anything nice for anyone again!

2 comments:

River said...

Don't let this drag on forever, say something to the owners so Fave gets her ticket back. It could be a big win she is missing out on.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Nope. I am not bringing it up. What if they would fire her for accepting gratuities? They do not have a tip jar on their counter. I don't know their policy. They have a lot of turnover in cashiers. The Woman Owner runs a tight ship.