Tuesday, July 23, 2024

I'll Have To Run This Idea By The Boss Before I Try It

Several weeks ago, I bought a different brand of frozen crinkle fries. I don't even remember which store. Farmer H likes the crinkle fries, but I prefer the plain variety. Anyhoo... he likes them when he has a sandwich or something quick for supper.

The first time I made them, I had some as well, since I didn't want to bother with two different cookings. No need to get the others out of the freezer, and put in the oven 15 or 20 minutes, when they could already be RIGHT THERE. I always eat later, so mine sat on the pan until later, when I slid them in the oven for about 5 minutes to re-warm.

Huh. They were NOT tasty. In fact, they had no taste. I quizzed Farmer H about his opinion, in case mine had just gotten dried out by sitting there and being warmed twice. 

"They wasn't very good. Tasted like cardboard."

"So you don't want them again?"

"Not really. No."

I tried those crinkle fries again another night. Still no taste. I think it's a 1-lb bag. The dogs were not crazy about them, either! Yet I hate to waste them. Figured I'd just have a few every now and then, until they're gone. Then I had the most scathingly brilliant idea...

I'm often switching channels, and land on the show Carnival Eats. Those vendors have some odd combinations, and then again, some that look delicious. I remembered some of them made loaded fries. That might be my fries solution! I could make Pizza Fries, or Chinese Fries, for Farmer H!

I figure I could make the fries, and top them with pizza sauce, pepperoni, mushroom, onion, and mozzarella cheese. Surely those flavors would brighten up the fries. Or a Chinese version. I have frozen Teriyaki Chicken, and frozen General Tso's Chicken. Those could go on the fries, with their sauce, and maybe some diced green onions, and maybe some frozen peas. Just have the fries with it instead of rice.

Not sure how Farmer H will respond to this idea. Last night, I made him something he saw on a TV commercial and asked for. SPAM! Fried chunks of Spam, in stir-fried rice, with added frozen peas. He said it was great, and he'd like it again. Hey! Maybe I could just give him some fried Spam and peas on those fries, with onions and oyster sauce or hoisin sauce.

Definitely worth the question. I get bored trying to think up things for Farmer H to eat. It's a never-ending job. If he doesn't like those ideas, I can try it for myself.

7 comments:

Rae said...

I would put the frozen fries in a bowl with a little olive oil and add some dried chives and some garlic powder and stir it up and throw them on a cookie sheet and bake them. Then I would eat them with sour cream. But you have a lot of great ideas also. Any one of them could save your fries. Ranee (MN)

Plain Jane said...

Chili cheese fries are good, you can use canned chili or homemade. It's usually topped with melted cheese. You could also sprinkle with onions, and add sour cream. My daughter likes to season the fries with taco seasoning & then add the rest.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I was thinking about topping them with cheese. HeWho will eat anything with cheese on top. Like you, I hate to waste food!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Had all my responses typed up here, and BLOGGER ATE THEM without warning! I'll be back later to reply. I hate this jumpy BLOGGER cursor with the heat of 10,000 Not-Heavens!!!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

UPDATE: when I asked Farmer H about those toppings for the cardboard fries, he said, "I don't think I would like that." So at least he saved me the effort!

Rae,
I have not had good luck with using garlic powder in the oven! I could make a dip with garlic aioli, brown mustard, mayo, and horseradish. That would make those fries tasty enough.

***
Plain Jane,
I forgot about chili cheese fries! Farmer H might like that. No "fresh" chili in my freezer right now, but canned would work.

***
Kathy,
I could use the Velveeta/salsa dip I make for Farmer H when he has tortilla chips, or taquitos. I'm pretty sure he would eat those cardboard fries with that topping!

River said...

I don't like to waste food either, but cardboardy fries would get the heave-ho. I don't buy frozen fries anymore anyway, for me it's just as quick to heat a pan of oil and slice a potato or two.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The frozen version is more convenient for me. Less clean-up.