Monday, July 1, 2024

The Mansion Is NOT Pony House, Nor The Amityville Horror

At least not yet... I am growing concerned. A couple days ago, a fly was in the Mansion. I hate them. They're SO annoying, buzzing around. Sitting on the short couch Friday evening, I realized that there were TWO flies. One that had just buzzed my head, and one on the mini blinds of the living room window.

Later in the night, I got up to wrap Farmer H's hot dog lunch for him to take Saturday to his Storage Unit Store. While in the kitchen, I figured I might as well wash the supper dishes. In doing that, I saw one of those flies light on the curved neck of the sink faucet. I reached over for my flyswatter, and WHACKED it! That fly did a somersault over the counter, onto the floor behind it. I went around and scooped him up in a Puffs Plus Lotion, guaranteeing his demise with a good squish.

Then the other fly had the nerve to land on a stale biscuit I had set on the dog treat plate. WHACK! Same result. Somersault, squish.

I must say, I was quite pleased with myself. Mrs. HM 2, flies 0.

Saturday morning, while taking my meds in the kitchen, I saw a fly shoot out from the undercabinet fluorescent lights. Well! Where did HE come from? Got HIM, too! In fact, through the day, I killed four more! WHERE were they coming from???

When I got home Saturday evening, Farmer H was out back by POOLIO, turning the filter on and off. I can only assume that perhaps he has been leaving the basement door ajar as he works out back, and that the flies are getting in there, then finding their way upstairs at different intervals, following the daylight. Can't be ME, right? Me leaving the kitchen door ajar as I feed the dogs their treats! I've only seen ONE fly come in during such an event.

Anyhoo... I killed two more flies on Sunday morning! I'm hoping that's all of them. Again, maybe Farmer H leaves the laundry room door open as he's giving the dogs their morning water, and going out to check on POOLIO from the deck.

Here's the thing. I'm pretty sure it's irony...

One of those last flies had the audacity to perch on the flyswatter! I tried to smack it with my hand, but it jumped off and stupidly perched beside the flyswatter, where I KILLED IT!

Something odd about these flies. They are about 1.5 times the size of a regular housefly. And they're STUPID! All but one of them was killed with the first try! So they're idiots, or blind in all their 3000 to 6000 simple eyes!

2 comments:

River said...

The bigger buzzing flies are the ones that lay their eggs on foodstuffs, meat is a favourite, but anything else will do, and also they will lay live eggs anywhere else they happen to be and you might not notice them until those maggots crawl everywhere looking for food. I killed one on a windowsill once and was horrified to see those teeny tiny maggots released as she died. Then I killed them too!.
I hate flies.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
YIKES!!! I never heard of that kind of fly! Nothing came out of these murdered flies, though I HAVE killed a spider before that released thousands (it seemed!) of baby spiders. Maybe Farmer H's dead pool squirrel had something to do with this invasion. I doubt he buried it. Probably tossed it into the woods from the dip net.