Saturday, July 13, 2024

The Tomato Verdict

As I mentioned yesterday, Old Buddy gave Farmer H some tomatoes purported to be from his garden. I was suspicious of their origin, because they were cold, clean, firm, and nicely-shaped. Plus, the small tomato I sliced for Farmer H that evening was not at all juicy, and didn't give off a home-grown aroma.

Anyhoo... Thursday night, I tried a tomato for myself.


I picked the middle-sized tomato. Not because I'm Goldilocks and anticipated it to be "just right." But because it was getting a little bruised-looking spot near that protuberance on the bottom. You can see it in the picture.

I sliced my tomato, then sliced the slices. So I had some triangular-shaped chunks, in a bowl, on the side with my tuna salad supper. I added a bit of salt.

That tomato was tasty! Not a perfect, warm-from-the-sun, robust flavor of a home-grown tomato. But still, a lot of flavor. More than you get from a store-bought tomato. Also, by the end of my tomato-eating session, that bowl was full of juice. 

I declare that the tomato I ate was, indeed, a HOME GROWN TOMATO!

My apologies to Old Buddy for doubting his gift. Better yet, it's good to know that Farmer H was not hoodwinked by a friend.

Farmer H said that Old Buddy has promised him some cherry tomatoes next... Let's just keep this episode our little secret. Mrs. HM does not insult the hand that feeds her.

2 comments:

River said...

Oh I'm so glad the tomato was a tasty home grown one. I remember those from when I used to grow them, it's been about 25 years since I was able to grow any.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It was great! My grandma used to give me boxes of garden tomatoes. I liked splitting one open and stuffing tuna in it. Delicious! Not to mention how great they were on hamburgers, or with a Shake n Bake coated pork steak.