Thursday, August 22, 2024

Big Salad, The Mansion Version

Yesterday, I spoke of my plans to make my own big salad, due to recent disappointments at Country Mart's deli. Here are the results.

I made my salad in two layers, because I like to get parts of everything in each bite, and not just plain lettuce when I get to the bottom.


That's the first layer. I've got the chopped up romaine lettuce, shredded sharp cheddar, diced boiled egg, and half a cut-up home-grown tomato. Then I repeated another such layer on top of it.


There's the upper layer, topped with blue cheese dressing, and crispy fried onions. I might have overdone it with the crispy fried onions, but that was my compensation for not having a BIG big salad.

Sweet Gummi Mary! My big salad was delicious!!!

In retrospect, I might have only used half the boiled egg. A whole egg in a true big salad is just right, but in my bowl, it was a bit much, changing the flavor slightly.

I also had a couple of frozen chicken tenders.


Not exactly like the deli chicken tenders, but a reasonable facsimile. 

Yes, I will make my big salad again. Tonight (Wednesday) I had a small salad, without the boiled egg, and an extra chicken tender. 

Farmer H brought home six more garden tomatoes. There are definitely salads in my future.

2 comments:

River said...

It looks great, and delicious, though quite different from "my" salads which are usually tossed in italian (oil and vinegar) dressing, since I don't much like the creamy dressings. And I use the green leaves of the lettuce as well as the paler middle ones.

Hillbilly Mom said...

I don't like limp lettuce, so I buy the hearts of romaine. I used to always use Italian dressing, but then I tried others and liked them better.