Monday, August 5, 2024

Helping The Pony Strap On The Foodbag

Sunday morning, I made two roaster pans of potatoes, carrots, and onions with bacon on top. Yes. The temperature was 92 degrees. Not a time you would normally think of cooking up this hearty meal. However, one of Farmer H's buddies had given him four huge onions that he got at the auction. HUGE! Bigger than a softball! You know how Mrs. HM hates to let anything go to waste. So to utilize those white onions, I went to town and bought carrots, potatoes, and bacon!

Heh, heh! It would have been easier to let those onions sit around until I thought of something else to do with them! But no. Farmer H likes the roasted vegetables with bacon. So there was a meal for three or four days.

I asked The Pony if he wanted some, and he said he would think about it. But the next day he said yes. That I could bring the vegetables over on Sunday, his day off, since he didn't feel like going anywhere, and was going to rest his ankle. Oh, and if I DID happen to go to the store, could I pick up a gallon of vinegar so he could clean his jetted bathtub? Because with his ankle being hurt, and on crutches for a time, and then back to work... he hadn't had time to go to the store to buy vinegar.

Well. You know that I would never let a Pony request go unfulfilled! While I was in Save A Lot, I also picked up a loaf of Hawaiian bread for The Pony, since he mentioned that he would like the vegetables and bacon, but was out of bread. Then I got him two red onions (he loves them), and a bag of salad, and two kinds of cheese (Swiss and provolone), a bottle of Caesar dressing, a pack of honey ham, a bag of Sour Cream and Onion potato chips, a bag of fried onions for salad topping, a bag of some kind of cracker with sea salt that was in the half-price cart, and a box of Hershey's three-chocolate snack cakes. 

Yeah. The Pony is not going to starve on MY watch!

2 comments:

River said...

I buy things for my kids too, but never that much! a year-18 months ago, I would take out an extra bag of nappies once in a while and maybe something that was "on special" in the supermarket like boxes of cookies or those little pouches of baby yoghurt.
I love the red onions too, sliced into a mixed salad.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I feel bad because some months, we're taking about 3/4 of The Pony's salary, between his house payment, and the flip house expenses. I don't mind giving him food without expecting repayment. He doesn't ask for it. It's just taking Farmer H a long time to get the Double Hovel done, so The Pony can recoup his investment, and a profit.

I also like the red onions, but never seem to buy them for us. I get bags of Vidalia onions, rather than several single red onions.