Tuesday, August 13, 2024

The Carnivore Makes An Almost Meatless Sandwich

Sunday evening, we had Terrible Taters for supper. That's what they were called at one of our favorite restaurants, anyway. It's a big baked potato, covered with BBQ pulled pork and sour cream. Farmer H also adds butter to his potato first, and tops the pulled pork with shredded cheddar before applying his sour cream. Oh, and a dill pickle spear served on the side is a must.

Anyhoo... I didn't have the actual giant baking potatoes this time. I had the two largest russet potatoes that I had saved from the 5 lb bag when I made the roasted vegetables with bacon. Still, they were two fairly large potatoes.

When using the giant potatoes, Farmer H has sometimes told me, "I don't need all this meat."

To which I reply, "I take out half for you, and half for me. There won't be enough left to really do anything with for another meal." 

So Farmer H goes ahead and puts the rest of the meat on his potato. It might be because whereas I slice my potato in half, and then top each side with meat, Farmer H makes a slice, and folds his potato open like a stiff-spined book, loading up the crevice in the middle. Anyhoo... this time I figured with his potato being smaller, Farmer H would indeed have some meat left over.

"You might have meat left. Do you want me to lay out some of your sliced pickles so you can have a sandwich on Hawaiian bread?"

"Yeah. That would be good."

Then I watched as Farmer H KEPT dipping meat onto his smaller potato. It was almost buried completely, as if he was planning to use every bit of the pulled pork on top.

"I thought you were going to have a sandwich."
 
"I am."

"With what? There's hardly anything but BBQ sauce left in the bowl! What are you having, a pickle sandwich with sauce? I would NEVER make you a sandwich with so little meat!"

"It's fine. There's plenty of meat left for a sandwich."

Not really. Farmer H smeared that mostly-sauce from edge to edge of the bread, and put his pickles on. If I had served him such a "sandwich," I would never hear the end of it! Just goes to show you, Farmer H would rather be his own boss than eat a tasty sandwich.

2 comments:

River said...

Once again Farmer H boggles my mind. We used to have a Baked Potatoes stall at the Central Market, a portable oven affair that got taken to other events, then later a store opened in a city arcade and they sold baked potatoes with a selection of toppings, they'd cut a big X in the potato and open it out so more potato was exposed to the toppings, then they'd add whatever you selected. One of my sons always chose the chili with sour cream and cheese, while I never chose a meat topping, I preferred cheese pineapple and sour cream which sounds weird but I liked it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

You lost me at PINEAPPLE on a baked potato! I'd rather have pineapple on pizza.

Coincidentally, Farmer H's menu for the Senior Center on Wednesday is:

Baked Potato Bar
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Spinach Salad
Watermelon