Friday, August 16, 2024

These Are Definitely NOT The Salad Days

Mrs. HM does not ask for much. But she DOES enjoy a big salad once a week. The only place to get the big salad is at the Country Mart over in Sis-Town, since 10Box took over the old Country Mart in Hillmomba, and does not have a deli.

My preferred big salad is the variety that has a chicken tender (sliced up) on top. Farmer H likes the one with some chopped turkey and ham. Lately, the chicken tender variety has not been available. So I make do with the turkey/ham.

Last week, the big salads with turkey/ham were a bit different. They usually have two halves of a boiled egg included. But both mine and Farmer H's big salad only had two QUARTER boiled eggs! They cheated us out of half a boiled egg! How petty!

Oh, how I yearn for those days of last week! Because my big salad on Thursday did not have any boiled egg at all!!!

Of course the price was still the same! There were six of the big salads in the deli case. And NONE of them had a boiled egg included. Yes. I checked every last one.

In fact, I picked up each salad, looking at the expiration date, and judging the heft of the container. Some were lighter than others. Not for me! I prefer to get the most for my $6.99 bucks!

They looked like there was less shredded cheddar on top, too. If this "shrinkflation" continues, I will just be forced to make my own big salad! Which will not seem like such a treat.

4 comments:

Rae said...

I am so frustrated with shrinkflation! I actually have recipes that call for a 6 oz package of this or a 12 oz or a can of this or that and when they keep reducing the size of thing, it forces me to buy twice as much and possibly waste some of the item or try to adjust my recipe to fit. Recently, I realized the loaf of bread that we buy is one slice less. That leaves us with the 2 butts and 1 slice of bread at the end. I usually toast the butts for breakfast, but half a sandwich just isn't getting the job done. Cowards - just leave it alone and charge a bit more. Up to the shrinkage, they weren't afraid to start charging more anyway! Ranee (MN)

Hillbilly Mom said...

OH MY GOSH! I never thought about the bread! I buy those little half-loaves, because we don't eat much bread. I buy the regular size loaf of wheat sandwich bread to use for the dogs' treats. I bet my dogs are getting cheated! And maybe me, too!

I know about the ounces being cut, so you think you're still getting the same amount, though you're not. I can't believe my big salad went from a whole egg, to a half egg, then NO egg, in only two weeks! Usually, they stretch out their deception a bit longer!

River said...

Perhaps there is an egg shortage as there is here in Australia? There's some kind of bird flu or virus killing off hundreds of egg producing chickens so eggs are in short supply. Making your own big salad wouldn't be the same but at least you'd know how fresh it is.

Hillbilly Mom said...

No egg shortage that I know of, but prices are up (as with most everything else). There's also talk in the news of bird flu, and the government killing off chickens. Make of that what you will. It's one of the conspiracies that I'm inclined to believe, heh, heh.

Anyhoo... there are stacks and stacks of cartons of eggs, of various sizes, in all the stores where I shop. I could see Country Mart leaving out the eggs because it's another way to get the same price while providing less!

I guess I'll get some Romaine lettuce, and make my own big salad. Romaine is harder to find in my stores than eggs. I hope there isn't a "Romaine flu" going around!