Friday, August 2, 2024

Mrs. HM Remains True To Herself At The Gas Station Chicken Store

Wednesday afternoon I had the complete attention of the secondary clerk at the Gas Station Chicken Store. There's nothing about her work performance that makes her secondary. It's just that she's not my favorite. She's always polite and businesslike, and friendly to me. Just more reserved than Fave.

The man ahead of me had just left, having bought two sodas, paid for gas, and let his teenage son pick out two scratchers. A previous lady had popped back in to confirm which pump she had paid for. Then it was my turn to cash in winners, and get the day's selection.

As always, I asked for a $3 Cash4Life draw ticket for The Pony. I usually ask at the beginning of the transaction, right after my winners are scanned. The clerk staples a printout to them. This time, Sec had to move across the counter area to use the stapler at the other register. So I chose my scratchers first, them being in the case right next to her.

When Sec rang up my total, I expected to get back change of $1. But she gave me $4.

"Oh. Uh. I thought it was going to be more. Did you forget to charge me for the draw ticket?"

Sec looked at the receipt. "Well, sonofabitch! I DID!"

SWEET GUMMI MARY! That took me by surprise. Sec is always so prim and proper, so reserved. This struck me as hilarious, but I dared not laugh. 

Sec thanked me for pointing that out.

"I don't want to cheat you! That would be bad luck!"

Neither The Universe, nor Even Steven, rewarded me for my honesty. I only had two winners of $3, and one winner of $5. BUT I KNOW I DID THE RIGHT THING. So there's that...

Heh, heh! I can't wait to tell Fave about Sec's reaction. We'll get a giggle out of it.

2 comments:

River said...

I would have laughed, but it's good you did the right thing.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I DID crack a smile. Then on Thursday, I told Fave, and we had a good giggle over it. Not making fun of Sec, but just appreciating the uncharacteristic reaction.