Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Frown To The Left Of Me, New Gal To The Right, Here I Am, Stuck In The Middle To View

Don't you hate it when you get stuck in an awkward situation? Of course you do, unless you're some kind of freakin' Hillmomban weirdo!

Monday, I stepped into the Gas Station Chicken Store for my 44 oz Diet Coke. There were no other customers, and the new cashier greeted me. She has just lately formed a bond with me, gotten used to my correct daily change, and makes small talk. She greeted me just as I realized...

"I forgot my change in the car! I had it all laid out, too. I'll be right back."

Back across the parking lot, through the rain, for my 69 cents in coins. I swear! The wind itself would have been bad enough, but the combination of the wind AND the rain had my hair swirled and sticking up like Woody Woodpecker! Ah ha ha HA HA!

Anyhoo...as I returned, a dude had just come out the door. I stepped in again, and on the left, by the cash machine, was Woman Owner. She's a good gal, but a bit strident when communicating her wishes. She hasn't run that store for over 30 years by being meek!

"You gave out an application? YOU AREN'T AUTHORIZED TO GIVE OUT APPLICATIONS!"

At first, I thought she was joshing with the New Cashier. She had that over-the-top delivery. I could imagine myself saying it, then laughing along at the preposterousness of it. But NO. Woman Owner was dead serious!

Upon further thought, I can see how it is. She wants to SEE the prospective applicants first, to decide if she would want them working there. For example, do they look clean? Do they have facial tattoos, or giant flappy ear loops? Would they scare a little old lady? Do they make eye contact? Do they mumble? All these things that she wouldn't know if she read their name on an application. Maybe it's not fair to judge, but it's HER store, and she wants people who represent her brand.

Anyhoo...I went on around to the soda fountain. As I was drawing my magical elixir, a man came in to pay for gas. His back was to me. He was looking down, counting out his money, and New Cashier caught my eye. She shook her head, and I raised my eyebrow.

She'd been in trouble last time, for ringing up my soda AFTER ringing up the scratchers. Woman Owner had made her void it, and do it the other way. I guess because that's how she does it. I felt bad for her then, and when Woman Owner went back to the office, I said,

"I guess this is how she weeds people out. By seeing how well they can follow her directions."

"Yeah. I've already been in trouble earlier today, for giving out too many red tickets! It's a lot easier when she's in the office!"

Those red tickets are given with so many dollars of purchase, for a weekly gas drawing. Lots of people don't even take them. Like me. So I don't see how that could have caused a hardship. It's just a matter of feeling people out, to see if you can trust them to follow orders and accept criticism.

Anyhoo...that new gal is doing a good job as far as I can tell. I hope she can maintain her composure for future faux pas. Because you KNOW there will be more. I can't really take a side. I just felt bad to overhear the chastising.

The Gas Station Chicken Store is always advertising for cashiers.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I wonder if I finally retire-retire, could I get a job there? What would stand in my way?

Sioux Roslawski said...

By the way, did you steal the wheel off any of the cars in the parking lot?

River said...

Big mistake by Woman Owner. NEVER chastise in public. Have a quiet word then when someone else is able to run the counter for a minute, call the new person to the office for a reminder of how things should be done.
Or she could say the things right there, but use a gentler reminder tone of voice.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
They are advertising THREE positions right now! Maybe you could get hired for all of them! A cook's helper, a cook, and a cashier. Oh, wait. There's that time you were taking pictures of Sioux-on-a-stick, propped on the soda fountain. So I'm pretty sure you won't get an interview, unless the new cashier gives you an application before Woman Owner sees your face...

***
Sioux 2,
Heh, heh! I lobbed that softball up there for you to swing away. HOME RUN, Madam!

***
River,
That leopard cannot change her spots. You should hear how she talks to her husband when HE'S working the register! She runs a tight ship, and talks like people are at the opposite end of an aircraft carrier.