Saturday, March 21, 2020

Offhand Joke, Or Premonition?

Friday, while out mailing the boys' weekly letters, I stopped by the School-Turn Casey's for scratchers. I bought four. As the clerk was tearing them off the rolls, and laying them on the counter, three slipped over the edge.

"Darn it! I hate it when that happens!"

"Heh, heh! They're too heavy, because they're winners full of money."

"Wouldn't that be great, if they were all winners?"

"I've had that happen before. Not often. But it's happened. From this store, too."

I brought my tickets home. Didn't get around to scratching them until after 5:30. THREE of the four were winners! A $15, a $15, and a $10. I doubled my money!

The bottom two tickets have part of their winnings from the second chance on the back, lest you think I am lying about my winnings. AS IF Mrs. HM would dare to violate the Truth in Blogging Law!

Surely it was just a coincidence that they slipped over the edge of the counter...

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

That is almost enough to buy two of my guides--one for yourself and one for a gift for someone else.

I will take cash, if you'd rather not charge it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
How about if you just take winning scratchers in trade? Cut out the middleman.

River said...

Of course it was a coincidence, just like it was a coincidence that it was you in the store and you buying those very tickets. There really is no other explanation.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Unfortunately, any scratcher in my hands instantly turns into a loser...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I usually don't believe in coincidences. What's meant to be is meant to be. Every decision or interaction I had that day led me to that place at that time. Just like how I find my pennies.

***
Sioux,
You and Farmer H could form a support group. But stay six feet away from each other!