Friday, March 6, 2020

Make. It. Stop.

The Universe continues to conspire against Mrs. Hillbilly Mom! Continues, I say, to meddle with her food sources!

Let the record show that I haven't been to The Devil's Playground in nigh on a month. Country Mart and Save A Lot have sufficed. But Thursday, I resorted to The Devil for his line of faux Pepcid (mint flavor) tablets, and Farmer H's giant bottles of flavored water, and a few odds and ends like broccoli slaw mix, and Great Value Sugar Free Cherry Limeade powder.

There wasn't much on my list. I went through the deli first, and picked up some already-packaged chicken wings. I could see through the top, so I was fairly confident that I knew what I was getting. I'd have preferred the plain ones rather than ranch, but when you get there after 2:00 p.m., you take what you can get. What they should warn you is: "B-b-b-baby, you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

When I was putting the wings on a foil-covered pizza pan for oven-warming, I was SHOCKED to find a non-edible wing section at the bottom of the pack.


SERIOUSLY?

Nobody eats that section! It's the part that you twist off and feed the dog. It's nothing more than goose-fleshed (or chicken-fleshed) skin, with little feathery stick-out thingies, unsuitable for human consumption! It's neither a drum nor a flat, as the deli ling goes on chicken-wing parts. It's the fingers! The bony section with only skin over it. Nothing to eat! Unless you want chewy, unswallowable skin coated with breading, fried in grease.

I, myself, did not. Juno and Jack, definitely.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Again, that same Justin Bieber song applies...

River said...

That's a disappointing find. Out here those are called wing tips, when I buy a pack of chicken wings to make my Devilled Chicken recipe, I get out my biggest cleaver and hack off all the wing tips and shove them in the freezer to await rubbish collection day. The drum part of the wing, we call those chicken drumettes, so they aren't confused with drumsticks.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Hold on there, Madam! Does this mean I'm going to have 10,000 Hours of food faux pas coming my way? Or that after reading about my tribulations, you think, "I Don't Care...?" OR that maybe you find my descriptions and pictures to be "Yummy."

***
River,
Heh, heh! "Wing tips" make me think of the dress shoes my dad used to wear!