Monday, April 20, 2020

Crimes Against Hillmombanity

Country Mart has done it again! Tried to, anyway. Tried to rip off Mrs. HM on the health and beauty aisle. Come on now! That's not nice, asking how a beauty product could possibly de-beautify Mrs. HM from the haggard looker she is now! No, it was the health product that could have raised Mrs. HM's blood pressure to the BOILING level.

You may recall that I have a leg wound. Almost gone now. Doesn't need any treatment other than a bandage at night when I lay on that side. I could probably get away with no bandage, and risk a tiny bit of seeped plasma to crust on my pajama leg. I prefer not to do that. During the day, the shrunken spot is dry and painless. Still visible as a dime-sized spot of healing skin. But at night, I suppose it gets squeezed against the bed from my other leg lying on top of it.

Anyhoo...I needed more of the 3 x 4 bandages to have on hand. No need for the expensive ones that hold longer than a snapping turtle's bite. Just a basic covering larger than a bandaid. Though one of those could work now, if I wanted to risk ripping off the new skin formed from the healing of the larger perimeter of the blister.


I reached up to the top shelf of Counrty Mart's first aid supplies, and grabbed the first box. Last time I got them, there was only one box left. Looks like the supply truck came in, and nobody's been hoarding them during the VIRUS panic. Must have been six boxes of bandages there.

Wait a minute! I didn't hear the 10 bandages shuffling around. I shook the box. Huh. That's odd. I opened the top. NOTHING! The box was EMPTY! Good thing I am a suspicious thorough shopper! I set it back, beside the row of Best Choice Sheer Pads, and took the next box. It rattled. I looked inside. All 10 bandages were there, so I put it in my cart. No, I did not look for someone to tell about their empty bandage box. The pharmacy window is closed now, only allowing drive-thru pharmacying. I doubt the deli lady would have shown interest. I left the empty box beside the row, not in front.

I suppose somebody really needed 10 bandages, and couldn't pay the $2.33 for them. Yes, that IS cheap, compared to the Johnson and Johnson brand, which I think was over $6 at Country Mart.

Maybe the Best Choice brand might want to think about putting those clear adhesive circles on the flip-top, to prevent acts like this. At least it would take thieves longer to steal them. Although nobody came rushing over to frisk me when I stood there opening up two boxes.

I don't really enjoy shopping at Country Mart. They're kind of shady. But it beats traveling farther to the Devil's Playground, rubbing elbows with more people, and hiking 10 times as far through the store.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

BUT, is there a website called "People of Country Mart," highlighting some horrendous fashion faux pas?

I try to go to the Devil's Playground as infrequently as possible, but when I do... the outfits (my grandmother would say "the get-ups") are quite entertaining.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I don't know, because I certainly wouldn't seek out such a website, since I see it IN PERSON once a week!

My mom used to get frantic when she saw people pushing a baby in the cart while THE BABY was not wearing shoes! I'd be more concerned about the cart-pusher not wearing shoes. It's not like the baby is going to jump down and walk on the tiles.

River said...

Ha! Somebody stole those bandaids and I bet they could afford to pay but chose not to. I sprung a couple of ne'er do wells at my checkout once, they bought a box of "No-Doz" pills that are supposed to keep you alert I think, anyway the box was full, I could tell by the weight, so they went out with all their stuff, then the woman came back in with the empty box saying it was empty when she bought it, and I told her no way, the seals were intact and I could hear the aluminium sheets of sealed pills rattling in the box as I passed it over the scanner. She was ready to make a fuss so I called my supervisor who reminded them they'd tried the same trick last week...
I'm surprised the bandaid boxes aren't sealed over there, all ours are, not with the little circular sticky plastic bits though, they're too easy to peel, our boxes have the tops, bottoms and sides all glued shut.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I suspect the same. Good for you, stopping those ne'er-do-wells from their scam!

I'm surprised our hair color boxes aren't glued shut. They also have the circular sticker, but sometimes they've been opened, and the Devil's Handmaiden has resealed it with clear tape. I won't buy it that way, since I'm afraid somebody put a different color in as a joke! Or maybe I should buy a more expensive brand...