Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Bandage Pessimist

Let the record show that I am still trying to will my leg blister to heal. It's egg-sized, you know. I thought progress was being made the first week. The fluid was out. The skin was on. I had Farmer H put a 3 x 4 bandaid (slathered with triple antibiotic ointment) on it every day after my shower. By evening, it would seep some yellowish clear fluid out the bandaid. That's after Farmer H BLEW on the pin that he was using to let out fluid.

Then part of the skin came off with the bandaid one day. I continued my same treatment. A couple days later, more skin came off in the shower, as I gently soaped it with my bare hand. Around this time, Farmer H declared that he had other things to do, and I should just leave it open, to get air, and start healing with a scab.

Well. Like an idiot, I followed Dr. H's treatment plan. I still put on the triple antibiotic ointment. But I could feel my pants leg on it as I went about my town errands. I slept on it that night without covering, although I put a towel down on top of the sheet. Again, the next day, Farmer H was gone. The wound looked redder to me. Had more yellow junk. I washed it. Applied ointment. Slept on it.

The next morning, I LAID DOWN THE LAW! Farmer H was going to make sure he was there to apply my bandage! His prescription was not working. I think it was causing me a relapse. Of course while putting on the bandage, Farmer H had to open his germy mouth to say,

"This looks worse. You need to see a doctor."

From the man whose own doctor wouldn't even let patients in the office, and gave butt-shots on the parking lot! MY doctor nurse practitioner has office space in the upstairs clinic over the main hospital. I knew I wasn't getting past THEIR barricades. So I was resigned to riding it out.

Lots of oozing emanated from beneath my bandage. A slow ooze that I could dab at, sweatpants leg pulled up in front of New Delly. A towel under it on the recline part of my OPC (Old People Chair). After a couple days of my tender treatment again, I noticed less redness. Less oozing. The raw spot oh-so-slowly shrinking inward.

Here's the thing:

FARMER H REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY HEALING!

When putting on the provided bandage, and prompted with: "Don't you think it looks better?" All he says is:

"Looks the same to me." Or "It's hard to tell." Or "I still think you need to give it some air."

Since Farmer H was gone to the city three days, taking his friend for chemo and procedures, I was on my own. The edges of my leg-hole have healed inward enough that I felt confident in fitting the bandage over the raw spot without sticking the edges to it. I've done that for four days now. No help needed from Typhoid H.

I KNOW it's better! It gives me the pain twinge much less if I bump it. Sometimes I even forget that I have a bandage on there. The ooze only comes out at the end of the night, with my leg in a certain position, on my OPC chair towel, a spot smaller than a dime. The redness does not extend out from the edge of the bandaid. When I blot it after removing the bandage, just a nickel-sized spot shows fluid. Mostly clear.

In a couple days, I'm going to leave the bandage off. Since I'm not going anywhere, and I can keep my pants off of the wound. Then at night, I'll put a bandage on for sleeping only, until the skin is healed over. Not sure if I'm going to let Farmer H have a look.

I think Farmer H is either reluctant to admit that MY way of treatment is better than his, OR... Farmer H is trying to kill me.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Why don't you just dress Donald Duck style during the day, when you're in the house? That way, you won't have to worry about pesky pant legs bothering your healing blister.

I think you should avoid Farmer H's medical advice, just like I avoid looking when my PITA says, "Look at this. What do you think it is?"

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
If only Farmer H was able to roam the countryside like before the stay-at-home-down! He's be gone from when I got up until suppertime. Then I WOULD roam Donald Duck style! I can pull up my sweatpants leg, though.

I avoid MOST of Farmer H's advice. Not just medical.

River said...

I agree it needs air and also needs to be kept dry, so I wouldn't be putting on the triple strength ointment once the skin came off or even started to come off. Just wash gently and dab dry then leave it alone. Cover it when you need to go out and for sleeping until the surface hardens. I'm no doctor, so feel free to ignore this, but I've never had an infected blister or cut.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yesterday, I was dabbing at it after bandage removal, before shower. I thought I was cleaning off the ointment, but a flap of SKIN pulled loose! I know it was dead skin anyway. So the new skin underneath must have been ready to let it go. I'm glad it was moist, or it would have been like a tough hangnail, all dried out and hard. The "oozy" area is down to the size of a dime. So I'm going to give it some air today.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Just keep it clean with soap and water and cover it only if your pant leg is bothering it. At this point it will most likely heal on it's own.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I actually use shampoo on it, because it seems less harsh than IRISH SPRING soap. I'm on day 2 of leaving it open, only covering at night, because I lay on that side. This morning (and by that I mean at 2:30 p.m.) before the shower, it barely had anything leaking. Just a little on the bandage, where I guess I squished it out overnight while laying on it.

I think it's looking great, compared to the third day, after Farmer H's blow-pin!