Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Shadier And Shadier

Country Mart is the new Devil's Playground. They shall bear the brunt of my ire these days, as I shun The Devil for a smaller venue. Yesterday's tale of empty bandages was from last week's shopping trip. Monday, I was there again.

Sweet Gummi Mary! I don't know when their truck day is, but I'm growing suspicious of Country Mart's business model. I'm starting to think that they are delaying their order, in an effort to sell off more of their expired goods. Although now that I think of it, there WAS a story in the local paper that the chain has been bought out...

Anyhoo... I was only there for Farmer H's special individual ice cream cups, and hopefully some hot deli food for lunch and supper. But NO! I think Old Mrs. Hubbard has been hired to run the deli! I might have mentioned that the selection now is pitiful. Most times, I've only seen chicken tenders, fried chicken, fried fish, and wedge fries.

This time, there were no chicken tenders!!! In their metal bin were some chunky looking fried things. I asked the dude who came to the counter what they were.

"Chicken gizzards."

"Oh! No. Not for me. And THAT doesn't even look good today!" I said, pointing at the five pieces of burned fried chicken. "I think I'll pass."

Dang it! My grocery day, and I couldn't get what I wanted. It's not like I run in there every day now. At least there were two packs of Farmer H's ice cream cups. I took one. Hoping they'll have some next week. I had also thought about getting some soda, but there were NO DIET COKES on the shelf, and NO DIET MTN DEW! Only one 6-pack of regular MTN DEW.

Over at Save A Lot, the truck had just come in. The workers were stocking almost every shelf. No sign of any shortages, though I didn't look for the canned mushrooms this time.

I wish I had the energy to eat chicken gizzards. I'm no spring chicken any more. It's not worth it to chew on that deep-fried meat-flavored gum for five minutes each bite. Too bad they didn't have livers!

2 comments:

River said...

You might have to start making your own chicken tenders.
Step one: buy some baby chicks
Step two: feed them and watch them grow
Step three: you see where I'm going here?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, I see where that's headed! We used to have plenty of baby chicks, hatched here at the Mansion, raised past that awkward adolescent phase, into regular chickens. Then the neighbor's dogs discovered them. I'm pretty sure those dogs found our chickens to be tender...