Monday, April 13, 2020

The Time Has Come

The time has come, Ms HM said, 
To speak of many things
Of Farmer H fails
And missing stair rails
And the bloody carnage they bring

Ever since building the Mansion, Farmer H has been saying he's going to put in a stair rail. The stairs are open-sided. There's a big rectangle out of the living room floor, a wall on one side, balusters on the other two, where one descends to the basement. It's not like a dank dungeon used for hiding intractable children or captured enemies. It's a finished room, with a TV and pool table.

With the sides being open, Farmer H will have to attach a stair rail to some kind of added sturdy support. He's a wizard at that stuff, so it's not the inability to install a rail that's stopping him. I first asked for it shortly after moving in. Genius was 3 years old. The basement didn't have the tile floor down yet, or the half-paneling/half whiteboard wall. But by the time The Pony was toddling, it did. I was worried about The Pony falling down the steps.

In the early years, only Genius went down unaccompanied. I walked The Pony down when he was small. The years passed, as they are wont to do, when you're working from 4:50 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., getting meals, monitoring homework. Before I knew it, the boys were that golden age, where they still listen to you, and aren't embarrassed to be seen with you in public, yet they're capable of taking care of themselves without constant supervision.

One Friday evening, Genius was spending the night with a friend. The Pony had asked for corn dogs for supper. That boy purely loved himself some corn dogs! He was about 8 or 9. He headed down to the basement with his supper on a paper plate, a Sprite in his hand. I think The Pony and I were were planning to watch a movie after Farmer H and I finished eating.

All at once we heard a scream, and THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. I've never seen Farmer H move so fast in my life. He elbowed me out of the way, and dashed down those stairs like a nimble Nureyev. Looking over the balusters, I saw a sight that made my heart jump into my throat.

The Pony lay on the bottom two wooden steps, a splatter of red spreading out around his head.

SWEET GUMMI MARY!

Farmer H was already at the bottom, lifting The Pony's arms, putting his hands under The Pony's back, asking if he was okay. The Pony moaned a bit. At least he was moving, and conscious!

"My corn dogs!" he whimpered.

"Forget about them! We'll get you some more." said Farmer H. "Are you okay? Where do you hurt?" He was feeling the back of The Pony's head.

"Just my back. Sorry I got ketchup on the steps."

WHEW! I laughed till I cried. In fact, I think I was already crying. So maybe I cried till I laughed. One of our most terrifying accidents. Though it doesn't hold a candle to The Pony's car crash on the way home for Thanksgiving, his freshman year at OU.

We still need a stair rail.

Farmer H says he worries about coming back to the Mansion, and finding me at the bottom of the steps. Yet he still has not installed a rail. Which kind of fits in with my theory that he is trying to kill me...

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It sounds like he's worried he'll find you at the bottom of the steps... and he's even more worried that you'll still be alive. Alive but a vegetable. Someone he will have to feed... and diaper.

Maybe you need to start talking about hiring a handyman to install a rail. Maybe that will spur him into action.

River said...

I am truly shocked that you still don't have a stair rail that should have been installed when the stairs went in, should have been installed immediately following The Pony's accident, and anytime since then. do I have to come over there and poke a stick up someone's butt to get that done?
How can he say he is worried about finding you at the bottom of the stairs and STILL NOT INSTALL THE RAIL???
I'm agreeing with Sioux here, hire a handyman.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That it! He's worried about finding me ALIVE at the bottom of the steps. That explains it. That handyman suggestion might work.

***
River,
I don't know how you can be shocked, knowing what you do about Farmer H after all these years. The thought of you poking Farmer H's rumpus with a stick makes me giggle. Such a choice I have...local handyman or Australian rumpus-poker!

River said...

I'm shocked because until now I didn't know about The Pony's accident.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He figures that if you haven't fallen by now you probably won't. When my grandson, Gage was a baby in a walker, he took a spill down some steep steps. They lived in an apartment above our store and I heard my daughter scream before we heard Gage cry. HeWho and I were stumbling over each other to get to them. I grabbed my baby and he grabbed her baby. We ended up in an ambulance and I went with them to make sure they treated my child right and did not accuse her of anything. Someone had left her back door open, not thinking about how quickly a baby in a walker can move. I had asked HeWho to put a baby gate up just the week before, I installed one myself after that.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
From my other blog, here it was:

https://unbaggingthecats.blogspot.com/2016/11/vals-thankfullest-thanksgiving-ever.html

***
Kathy,
YIKES! That was scary! Walker babies can really scoot! Glad they were both okay.