Thursday, April 9, 2020

Less Heeding, More Good-Deeding

I confess that Farmer H and I left home Wednesday, in a covert violation of Stay-At-Home-Down. It WAS a necessity, though. To replace my cell phone. That story is told elsewhere. We won't deal with the non-heeding. We're here for the good-deeding.

After the phone excursion, Farmer H drove through the bank. I had volunteered T-Hoe for the transportation. If I drove, the trip would be like a Gilligan's Island three-hour tour. A three hour tour. Anyhoo...I figured while I was out, I could get the weekly cash. I had the withdrawal slip already filled out.

Other folks must have also been making a cell-phone and weekly-cash run! The bank was busy. Two of the three drive-thru lanes were open. The first had two cars. The second had three cars.

"Don't get in that short one! I can't tell that the green light is on. They might have people gone to lunch, and won't serve that line after those two cars. Just get in this one with three cars. I can see the green arrow there."

"It's on, HM. The light just isn't very bright." Said the self-considered very-bright man with one eye.

"Well. I guess I don't care. But watch out for that woman at the cash machine!"

"I'm not going to run over her."

"You ran over that old lady when you worked for the city!"

"She got in my way. I held her hand until the ambulance got there!"

"Still..."

"Look. She's having all kinds of trouble with that cash machine. It keep spitting something back at her, and she keeps putting it in."

Just then, the lady turned and walked away from the cash machine in the wall of the bank, and toward her car, which was RIGHT IN FRONT OF US! We had been waiting behind a car with nobody in it! At least the line hadn't moved.

"Watch out. I bet she wants to back up, and go out that empty line."

Farmer H backed off about a T-Hoe length. The lady in her white SUV backed up. And went THE OTHER way. To the line with only two cars in it, where one had just pulled forward. So instead of us getting in that line, she got there first.

"Oh, well. She WAS in front of us to begin with. Even though she abandoned her car to hold her place in line."

It's not like we were in a hurry, but Farmer H was running out all my gas!

"I always turn the car off when I'm waiting in line. We've already been here 10 minutes. Those other cars are turned off."

"HM. It's 89 degrees! Too hot to turn off the car!"

Our line moved up. Putting us even with the White-SUV Abandoner. Then our line moved up AGAIN! It was our turn! We left her in the dust. Or rather the pine needles on the blacktop parking lot.

"Heh, heh! We're going to get done before SHE does!" Said Farmer H, bending T-Hoe's driver's-side mirror back a couple inches by ramming it against the tube housing of the vacuum sucker.

White-SUV Abandoner got her turn. It was neck and neck for a minute. We could hear her explaining that she'd tried to make a deposit, but the ATM was having none of it. As luck (hers) would have it, she got her receipt back and was ready to go while we were waiting on our cash to come out. White-SUV Abandoner put down her passenger window.

"I just wanted to thank you for letting me go ahead of you. That was nice."

"You're welcome. It ain't no big deal." Said Farmer H, giving her the courtesy wave that is fast disappearing from around these parts.

Poor Farmer H. He didn't even get a winning scratcher when I cashed in some winners at our next stop. I bought two consecutive tickets, which I NEVER do. But he also wanted the new one that came out on Monday. Said he didn't mind consecutive tickets. I held them up for him to pick. #40 or #41. He chose #41. Good! 40 is one of my lucky lottery numbers.

Farmer H won nothing. Mine won $5. That'll learn him to do good deeds!

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

So you got your life-maintaining elixir while you were on this trip, right?

(By the way, are gas stations going bakrupt without your daily fountain soda business?)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Yes. It was real, and it was spectacular!

I don't know. It still has people buying gas there. But they don't have chicken because they're waiting to hire cooks. So aside from beer and gas, they might be hanging on by a chicken finger. My scratchers might leave them more of a void than my magical elixir.

River said...

He bent T-Hoe's mirror, that's why he didn't win on the scratcher.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Thank the Gummi Mary, T-Hoe's side mirror has a swivel thingy so it can be manually folded in if you pull on it. It popped back into place, since Farmer H didn't bend it a full notch.

HOWEVER...Farmer H broke the passenger side mirror OFF, backing out of the garage, when coming to the hospital to see me with my pulmonary embolisms. The mirrors will bend IN, but they won't bend OUT!