Tuesday, April 28, 2020

I Might As Well Stay At Home, Down

Well, this is depressing! I might as well sit at home, feeling down, a face like cartoon dog Droopy. Getting out twice a week has not been very rewarding. The opposite, almost.

Monday I picked up a few items in Save A Lot, and headed for the bank to deposit a refund check from our car insurance. Last time I was at the bank, it took me 15 minutes of waiting, behind only one car, to do my business. On this day, two drive-thru lanes were open, with FIVE CARS EACH waiting for a turn.

Sweet Gummi Mary, no thank you Larry!

No way was I going to sit in that line and wait! I'd already bought my groceries (against my better judgment), and did not have an hour to wait in line to make a deposit. I think that insurance check will keep until my next outing on Thursday.

Here's the kicker. On my way back home, ANOTHER crazy gal tried to ram into the side of T-Hoe! I swear, just like I'm a weirdo magnet, T-Hoe is a crazy-driver sucker.

I was over by the glass factory, in front of the old mineral museum that is now a cheap funeral home. The car in front of me was waiting to make a left turn. So I stopped, as the law and common sense dictate. To my right was the road coming out of the glass factory complex. It has a stop sign. People were waiting to pull out.

The car in front of me made its left turn. I started forward again, as the law and common sense dictate. WHOA, NELLY! And by that, I'm assuming that crazy gal driver's name was Nelly. She tried to drive INTO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF T-HOE!

Don't think Mrs. HM was at fault! She was just resuming her journey after stopping behind the left-turner! That's the main road. No stop sign, no stoplight. NELLY acted like T-Hoe was invisible! I swerved over the center line to avoid the collision. Which was neither the law, nor common sense. Thank the Gummi Mary, the two oncoming cars also swerved, onto the narrow shoulder, to allow me room. I laid on the horn (that's what it's for, a WARNING), and NELLY jammed on her brakes. Might have missed me by a foot or two.

Thing is, not only was NELLY pulling out into the side of T-Hoe, she would have hit the traffic from the other lane if T-Hoe vanished in a POOF of Even Steven's magic rescue.

Sheesh! I might as well sit at home and twiddle my thumbs. It's safer. Also, the irony is not lost on me that I was going to deposit a car insurance refund (due to people driving less and having fewer accidents), and I was ALMOST IN AN ACCIDENT!

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

First of all, as brilliant as The Pony is, I'm sure he will find a job soon. He might have to suck up your free food and AC and laundry services for a while, but I am confident that it won't be long before some employer snaps him up.

Secondly, when Farmer H goes to pick up your baby, you will be Farmer H-free. For one night? Two nights? Dare I say it--three? I am soooo jealous.

I alnost got hit--twice--when I pulled out of QY on Sunday. This car (and the one behind them; I assume they were traveling together) didn't want to take the time to stay to the right of me and then make a left turn towards the pumps. Instead, they cut in front of me as I was beginning to make a left out of the lot, causing me to to jam on my brake.

People be crazy these days. I think the quarantine fever has gotten to their brains.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
It doesn't help that The Pony had his eye on the petroleum industry, a major employment field in Oklahoma. We're find with him staying as long as it takes. Or as long as he can stand our slow internet speed.

We are emphasizing that it's best to take any job that's offered. You can always continue looking while you're drawing a paycheck, and experience on a resume is better than couch-surfing. Seriously. I worked at Casey's while looking for another teaching job, and jumped from there to unemployment technician, and then to teaching again.

Two nights Farmer-H-Free! Though I'll be fretting until my little Pony (and big Farmer H) are safely home again.

People be BAT-CRAP CRAY-CRAY these days! It's like they all forgot how to drive! Or forgot how to be civil to other people. It's like one big a$$hole reunion at a bumper car park! (Oh my gosh! That's the title I want for my proposed book of anecdotal tales!)

River said...

Did I miss something here? What's this about The Pony coming home while looking for work?
I hope that Nelly got a big enough fright for her to be more careful in future.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You'll get up-to-speed when you read the not-so-secret blog. I also hope Nelly got a sufficient fright. I know that MY adrenaline was elevated for about five minutes, almost to the shaky stage, and I was just the innocent by-driver!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Maybe forgetting how to drive is a symptom of the quarantine ...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I think it IS! My routine is all thrown off with my scratchers. I can imagine how something as comparatively unimportant as DRIVING could be affected!