Thursday, April 8, 2021

Sixlet Of One, No Half A Dozen Of The Other

The Pony usually goes to the Devil's Playground for me on a Tuesday. He wants to go on Monday, but I remind him that the shelves are bare after the weekend, and we may not get the delicacies we are jonesin' for. Like baby dill pickles that are actually the size I prefer, which is more like premature, rather than the starting-pre-school size in the recent jars he has bought by default. 

Last week, The Pony kept putting off his (my) shopping trip. I was starting to think he wouldn't make it, and I needed a couple of items for the holiday meal that I couldn't find at Country Mart. And also some PEEPS and Sixlets for my candy stash. 
 
He'd finally relented, and said he'd go on Thursday. Which was pushing it, what with Thursday being the first day of the month, when many people get their checks, and with EASTER coming up, and people buying their feast vittles.

Anyhoo... as you may have discerned from my other blog, the Thursday shopping trip did not happen. The Pony was busy waiting on an email from the USPS about his CONDITIONAL job offer as a City Carrier Assistant. Then he heard from them, and had to drive 90 minutes one-way to give his fingerprints on Friday. So the actual shopping trip to the Devil's Playground was on Saturday. The first weekend of the month, and the day before Easter!

I'd like to blame The Pony for his procrastination, but I can't. He comes by it honestly. I am a world-class procrastinator. A national champion and a gold medal winner. I don't mean to brag, but I'd say that I'm in the top 99.99th percentile of procrastinators. My speaking engagements would be booked years in advance. I would be Professor Emeritus of Procrastinatorship. There might even be a scholarship in my name. Or an award to be lauded at the graduation ceremony.

Anyhoo... because The Pony put off that shopping trip so long, 

I AM WITHOUT PEEPS!

Oh, how I love those squishy pink bunnies! You can have the chick version. NO! I take that back! I would welcome any shape or color of PEEP right now. They were not available last year, you know. And this year they made a comeback, but now I can only hope for a revival at Christmas time. 

The good news, and what kept The Pony out of the dog house, is that he found SIXLETS! 
 

 
They were my second choice. I can only find them at Easter time. The Pony was quite proud of himself.

"Mom! I got you FOUR bags! There are 75 in a bag. So you have enough to eat one pack a day until the END OF THE YEAR!"

"Yeah. Well. THAT'S probably not going to happen. But I'm thrilled to have so many Sixlets!"

I am. But I still want my PEEPS.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

https://www.amazon.com/Easter-Marshmallow-Chicks-Peeps-Variety/dp/B00IQXULOS/ref=asc_df_B00IQXULOS/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241941845209&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1461085205541100141&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052894&hvtargid=pla-592505656718&psc=1

Sixlets? Aren't those the plainer cousin of M&Ms?

River said...

So sorry you missed out on your bunny peeps, whatever they are, marshmallow? chocolate? Chocolate covered marshmallow?, but what exactly are those sixlets? Are they like smarties and filled with chocolate? or are they filled with gum or something else? I can't see those lasting very long. About as long as chocolate covered marshmallow Santas at Christmas time.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I spent 15 minutes down THAT rabbit hole--I mean chick hole--I mean PEEP hole, and can't seem to find a guarantee that I'd get the bunnies. I really want the bunnies. What's wrong with those stupid complainy commenters who ordered the chicks but were REWARDED WITH BUNNIES??? I don't want to invest that much in a lesser PEEP.

Sixlets are more well-rounded than M&Ms. The only M&Ms I'd trade for Sixlets would be the GREEN MINT kind, or the coconut kind. I've seen neither in quite a while.

***
River,
Bunny PEEPS are marshmallow in the shape of a flat standing bunny, covered with delicate granulated sugar, in pink, blue, purple, or yellow. Just enough sugar to keep them from sticking to your fingers.

Sixlets come six to a tiny cellophane tube. They are balls of chocolate, coated with a more fragile kind of shell like an M&M. They are best chilled, by setting them on top of a bubba cup of ice water for five minutes. An ti ci paa aaa tion!

Sixlets used to be sold year round. I can't remember where I last saw a multi-tube bag. It might have been the Dollar Store. Or Dollar Tree. I don't think it was Save A Lot. On the innernets, I saw a GIANT PLASTIC JAR FILLED WITH SIXLETS! No cellophane tubes to open. Just pour those BAJILLIONETS down your throat! Too dangerous for me. No way would I simply pick out a handful.