Tuesday, April 6, 2021

In The Front Car Of The Even Steven Roller Coaster, With My Arms Raised

Mrs. HM is not a fan of real roller coasters. Not even the kiddie one at Silver Dollar City, with mild hills and a single circuit. But she will ride the Even Steven Roller Coaster any day!

Monday I stopped at the mailbox on my way to town. EmBee gave me a sudden roller coaster drop that took my breath away. It was an envelope from Waste Management. They're my old trash service. The one who had been overcharging us, apparently, for years. Which I discovered when I called to cancel my service, and they offered me a lowball price to remain with them.

THEY HAVE TAKEN OVER MY CURRENT TRASH COMPANY!!!

As in, they have bought the company, and I am now going to be trashed by Waste Management. I do not foresee this ending well. At the time I dropped them, I was paying $197 for three months of trash pickup. I got the new service in 2018, for $66 for three months. It has gone up over three years. I am currently paying $68 for three months of service! That seems like a perfectly reasonable increase.

Anyhoo... I went on to town, grousing about this misfortune. What a bunch of garbage!

At the Gas Station Chicken Store, that weirdo in the van who parks nose-in at the handicapped parallel parking space beside the building was in my spot. As I was giving him the stinkeye, a lady in a red sedan pulled in beside him, also nose-in! I parked over by the moat between the GSCS and CeilingRed's, Farmer H's pharmacy. I was so double-shaken and discombobulated that I left my stack of exact change sitting on T-Hoe's console.

When I got to the counter, Woman Owner was working the register.

"Helllllo! How are you today?"

"Oh, I'm disoriented from parking somewhere else, and I FORGOT MY EXACT CHANGE! At least I have a dollar in my pocket to pay for my soda after the lottery winnings are counted."

"NO CHANGE? I'm going to mark that on the wall! That NEVER happens!"

"Don't I know it! You don't know how wrong it seems for me to pay with a dollar bill."

"You know what? Let's just call it even today."

"Oh, you don't have to do that! I have it right here."

"I know you do. But you're in here every day. We can forget the 69 cents today."

"Well, THANK YOU!"

"You're welcome! See you tomorrow."

"You may be sorry. What if I use that tactic now? 'Sorrrrry. I forgot my change in the car...' You might have just become my enabler!"

Woman Owner was having a good laugh as I went out the door. She doesn't laugh much.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

A free soda? You're livin' the high life, aren't you...

$197 for three months of trash pick-up sounds like garbage.

River said...

Roller Coasters? You'll NEVER see me on one.
So you got a free diet coke? Yay!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I'm like Cheers Norm when I walk in the Gas Station Chicken Store, only nobody knows my name, so they don't shout out to me.

Yeah. Every three months, there'd be an increase in the trash invoice for the next pay period. It was itemized as FUEL COST INCREASE. Funny how when gas prices went down, we never got a reduction. THEN they had the nerve (by phone) to say that we'd been mistakenly overcharged, in an effort to get me to keep their service rather than close my account.

***
River,
The Truth In Blogging Law requires me to say that I got 69 cents of my Diet Coke for free. The outrageous regular price is $1.69, and I paid the $1 part with money unused from my scratcher winners. When I get three of the three-dollar tickets, I have that dollar left to pay for part of my magical elixir.