Wednesday, April 7, 2021

This Snagglenail Blogger Has A Bone And A Cuticle To Pick

Now that I am growing long in the tooth, I am also growing sharp in the fingernail. It's like the slower I become, the more my body adapts to protect me from predators, whether four-legged or two-legged. One fingernail especially has become problematic. The ring finger on my left hand.
 
Fortunately, I've not had to use my fingernail as a weapon. Unfortunately, my fingernail is practicing, keeping sharp, if you will, by attacking my own body. My own ring finger on my left hand. The corner of the fingernail cuts into the flesh on the outer side of my left ring finger. I try to file it, but the edge re-hones itself overnight as if I rub it on a whetstone while slumbering. 

The only tool I have to fight my killer fingernail is a file on the toenail clippers in the master bathroom. It's a little file that rotates out from the middle of the nail clipper. It's metal, of course. The drawback is in knowing that Farmer H uses this nail clipper on HIS TOES!

I put NAIL FILE on my shopping list. The Pony reads it ahead of time, and didn't ask for clarification. He bought me a pack of six.


I don't know why the label says MINI NAIL FILES! They are 13 cm long, and 2 cm wide. That's about 5 and 1/4 inches long, and just over .75 inches wide. How is that MINI? Is the regular size a foot long?
 
Anyhoo... The Pony said he didn't get me a metal version because I didn't specify that. Well, I consider these to be EMERY BOARDS, but in The Pony's defense, the label says they are nail files. I don't have an issue with the length, nor the width. It's the THICKNESS that bothers me.


Each nail file is 4 MILLIMETERS THICK! In this picture, you can see that I've taken out one of the three green ones in this stack. They are like DOUBLE emery boards. Like two glued together. So fat that I can't fit them along the corner of my nail to hone it down.

It doesn't help that this fingernail has a cuticle issue. I think that's what you call it. The stringy part that runs up along the side of the nail, and comes loose, and gets dried out and hard and then gets irritated if caught on or rubbed against something. 

I filed my fingernail as good as I could. Then I slopped some triple antibiotic ointment on the corner where that problem cuticle was poking out, and covered it with a bandaid overnight. I'm not risking a red infection with a pus pocket like my mom and my sister the ex-mayor's wife have had. Sis had hers lanced and received antibiotics. Mom let hers go too long during the Great Icepocalypse of '06. Then she had surgery to scrape the infection from the bone. It was her pinky finger. The first doctor wanted to amputate it!

Anyhoo... Mrs. HM would not take kindly to a doctor who wanted to lop off her finger. No siree, Bob! I would NOT say, "Well, it's just my little finger, and I could get along without that." Nope. It's my RING FINGER, and I could NOT get along without it!

Don't you worry about Mrs. HM. The finger is not even red. The overnight treatment softened the cuticle, allowed for its trimming, and also some shoving of the fat nail file into the corner to dull the razor-sharp corner of the fingernail. I used a nail file that is white with green fern fronds on it. It was the easiest to get out of the package. C'mon, man! Surely you didn't think I'd use the one that says: choose happiness. That is SO not simpatico with my personal motto: PEOPLE PISS ME OFF.

I really like the pattern on the top green nail file. I thought it was penguins, until looking at this picture. It's just BLOBS! Black and white blobs on a green background. I feel so cheated...

6 comments:

River said...

It's entirely possible that the nail is already filed way too far into the corner, so any new growth will of course grow into the flesh, like a cut-too-short toenail will become an ingrown toenail. I suggest NOT filing away at it, but wear a bandaid for a few days to let the edge of the nail grow past where it is getting caught and keep the skin softened with plenty of handcream.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Possible, but I can see that corner, as sharp as a kitten's claw! I can still see it when I round it off, so it's not that far down. This fat nail file won't allow it.

The bandaid treatment softened the cuticle thingy so I got it trimmed (not with a file). Right now it's feeling normal. I WILL slap a bandaid on there as soon as it gets all sharp and bothersome again. It seems to happen every few months.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Sooo. They're using nail files to subliminally suggest things to us? What will the next messages be?

Stop doing meth?
Put that Twinkie down.
Mullets are no longer--oops. Sorry.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Wow. I never took you for a hillbillyist. If I was one of The Pony's people, I would have to take my lovely lady-mullet to its crying closet.

I hope there's not a nail file with the message: Stop the Steve Miller Titles.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Us folks in Missouri used to proudly hold up the "#1 in Meth labs" banner. That's not hillbillyist, that's just pride in my state.

I'm going to start buying those packages of emery boards until I find a Steve Miller Band one.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
What's that? LL-M and I can't hear you from inside the crying closet. We are alternately rocking ourselves, humming, and inserting our own lyrics into "The Joker." Lyrics which may or may not be about you...

"She's a hillbillyist, she's an antagonist, she's a midnight ventriloquist, she scares the daylights out of the su-uu-uu-un."

No good comes from a midnight ventriloquist, OR his accessory.
[55 seconds]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQnhHPkLYOg