Wednesday, April 14, 2021

What's Good For The Pony Is Good For The MOMBA

A couple days ago I hollered through the closed door of The Pony's room to remind him to check his credit card balance, and pay it if necessary. He has it set to be due on his birthday date, and I've always told him to check it on my birthday date four days before. He hasn't been late on a payment. 

Anyhoo... the next day, The Pony was fuming with faux outrage.

"I didn't have a balance to pay this month, but listen to THIS! The bank wanted me to set up an IRA! I feel so OLD! I mean, sure I will do that when I get a steady job. I was reading how much it will be worth when I'm old enough to draw it out. But I'm not ready for that yet!"

"Heh, heh! Welcome to the club. The OLD PEOPLE CLUB!"

Monday morning, I was treated to a dose of my own medicine when I turned on HIPPIE for my morning innernetting. I always go to the BING page and peruse the news stories that they want to spoon-feed me. Huh. It's perhaps ironic that I just typed those words: spoon-feed. Because I was outraged at the AD that was amongst the thumbnail pictures of the news stories across the top of HIPPIE's screen:

AFFORDABLE PLUS-SIZE...

They never show a complete sentence. It's always cut off. But when The Pony came in to ask me something, I told him,

"I know how you feel about the IRA! You won't believe what BING is trying to sell me! AFFORDABLE PLUS-SIZE clothes! So not only am I FAT, I'm also POOR!"

The Pony got a chuckle out of that. Yes. I'm selfless, spreading joy throughout Hillmomba, even at the cost of my own dignity.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I think these days "plus size" is 14 and above.

Size 14? Who makes these decisions? Some men who like skinny, boy-like women?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The ASSumption that I needed AFFORDABLE clothing was worse than the PLUS-SIZE offer! I am not a pauper! Heh, heh! That's a private joke around here, as Farmer H's ex-wife said that once, haughtily, to him when he offered to buy something fun and non-essential for the boys to have at her house.

River said...

According to statistics, I AM a pauper, but I have food and clothing and a tiny amount of savings, so I don't feel pauperish.
Tell The Pony you don't need to be old to set up your savings for retirement. One of my grandsons began working at fifteen, holiday and after school jobs, now has a full time job and from day one, put away a good portion of his wages. He's not much older than The Pony.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm pretty sure you are not haughty about your statistical pauperdom. From what Farmer H has said of her, his NOT-PAUPER had that attitude regardless of pauper status.

Farmer H started working at 14, at a gas station. His wages were all the soda and candy he could consume on premises during his shift. I'm pretty sure he didn't save any of it!

If The Pony had a full time job (still waiting for the USPS to conclude their "conditions" investigation for his conditional employment), I'm pretty sure he would save. He's not an extravagant spender like Genius, wanting the latest electronic gewgaws or top of the line items. Then again, Genius has more money that he knows what to do with. Making me a possible pauper in comparison.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My son-in-law has enough saved for retirement and before my granddaughter graduated highschool he had $100,000 put aside for her education. She has some scholarship money she has earned with dance competitions and other academic events. She is a lifelong honor roll student. My son-in-law feel strongly about education! I chose this one! he worked for us in our other business and I told him if he would shave his scruff he might be good looking enough to date one of my daughters. The clean shaven young man chose Jill and she hates for me to tell that story, so I do it all the time! Never too early to save!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Wow! He's a saver! Good choice. Picking him, AND telling that story whenever you can!

We had money saved for the boys' college, but it was more like $40,000 each, and my mom put in $10,000 of that. Good thing they both got good scholarships to cover tuition! It still cost around $10,000 a year for their room and board. Genius was an RA for one year, so that was free for him. The Pony only had his freshman year dorm covered.