Saturday, April 3, 2021

Issues With Tissues, Phoney Baloney With The Pony

Farmer H got the re-chargable batteries to fill our four versions of the house phone. I guess around here you'd call it the MANSION PHONE. The phone by my OPC (Old People Chair) took to the batteries like a Labrador Retriever to water. The phone in my office took to it like a transplant patient to a new liver. Tries to reject those new batteries, but is limping along with countermeasures in place. It seems to work to make a call, but kept showing INSERT BATTERY every time I put it on the charger.

The Pony wanted to fold up a Puffs With Lotion strip, and stuff it between those batteries and the cover. I think NOT!

"No. That might start a fire!" I said as I ripped off a corner of an index card to use instead.

"Oh. Like that WON'T? It's still flammable."

"But not as much."

"I'm done with you!"

"Why? Because you don't like MY idea?"

"No. Because it's obvious you don't want to listen to MY solution."

I sent a text to wise old Solomon Farmer H about the issue with the tissue.

"Might be charger try phone from by tv"

"The Pony said it is charging. He wants to stuff a tissue in the back of this one and I said no. The batteries are not loose. They're making a connection, locked in place."

"Well see after it has time to charge don't stuff nothing"

So I left the phone alone and it sat there mocking me on the charger with INSERT BATTERY plastered on its face. I picked it up and went through the menu, in case there might be something that needed resetting. Nope. I turned it off and put it back on the stand-up charging cradle. Since then, it has been showing its normal face of time and date. But at the bottom says CHARGING. Normally, that goes off. I can deal with it, as long as the phone works. 
 
We'll see how the patient responds after 24 hours.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

You might have to do mouth-to-mouth. If you have to do compressions, remember to sing "Stayin' Alive" to yourself to keep up the correct rhythm.

River said...

I found that things usually still say charging when the battery has gone so flat it is almost completely dead. When I tried to charge my third-hand old 30GB mp3 player it said charging for three days, but finally I was able to play it, but it is so old the battery only lasts a few hours before needing recharging again. Maybe if I hadn't lost the charging cord for several years it would be doing better. I should look for a new battery for it online, but I already have a long list of things bought and waiting to be delivered. The player can wait. I have two others.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Sweet Gummi Mary! I had to go watch that clip from "The Office," because it's one of my favorites. Not the "Stayin' Alive" part of compressions, but what Dwight does afterwards... It always makes me laugh out loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbpT_6vjCc

***
River,
The Pony said these new batteries came already charged. I left it on the cradle overnight, and today it looked completely normal. Unfortunately, I jinxed it by picking up the phone a few minutes ago. When I put it back, it now says CHARGING again. Like five seconds made it lose power! I might switch the OPC phone with my lair phone. We'll see if it continues to work.

So, should I ask you why you've gone several years without a charging cord, heh, heh? That's how my OPC phone sat dead as a doorNAIL. Life gets in the way.

River said...

I had two other mp3 players and the itunes on the laptop. I found the old charge cord quite by accident, opened an old biscuit tin to see what I'd stashed in there and found a whole range of cords for stuff.
You may just need to give the battery terminals a bit of cleaning where the old batteries touched.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You were probably not quite as surprised as The Pony, who opened up his brownie-maker box back at college, and found assorted charging cords but no brownie-maker!

Nope! Farmer H bought the wrong batteries. Now TWO phones are dead.