Friday, April 23, 2021

No Muu-Muu Says The Pony

The Pony is under the weather. Not off his feed, not pulling up lame, but not rarin' to go. He has another one of those outer-ear infections that sent him to Urgent Care back in December. A more untimely illness there could never be. Oh. Except for this exact same ailment back during Christmas break of his first year of college, when he talked us into letting him go back to the dorm early, and a random other occupant had to drive him to Urgent Care there.
 
Anyhoo... The Pony sprang this information on me Wednesday morning (meaning 12:45 p.m.) as I sat at the kitchen table, playing Candy Crush on HIPPIE.
 
"Oh, Mom. I have that thing going on with my ear again. I took some ibuprofen. If it's not better, I'm going to the doctor or Urgent Care on Thursday or Friday."
 
"Well, yeah! You have your training coming up on Monday. So you can't miss that!"
 
When I went to bed at 6:30 a.m. Thursday morning, I heard The Pony's bedroom door open, and subsequently his shower running. When I got up around noon, I saw a pharmacy sack on the cutting block. I KNEW that Farmer H wouldn't put it there out of consideration for my beauty sleep. No siree, Bob! He has no qualms about barging into the master bathroom and ripping open a grocery sack size bag of prescriptions, rattling pills, dropping some, cursing, and setting them out in his collection. So I figured The Pony had already taken himself to Urgent Care. He had.
 
"She looked in my ear, and said she couldn't even see the eardrum. So she gave me a Z-pack [generic version] and some antibiotic drops for my ear. If it works like last time, I should be fine by Monday. I have to take two Z pills today, and one each day for four days. So I'll be almost done by then."
 
"That's good. I'm glad you got it taken care of early this time."
 
"Actually, she said I should have come in sooner! But I looked it up online, and it said if it didn't resolve itself in three days, to see a doctor. It only started on Monday."
 
"Well. You didn't have a fever like last time, and I guess it didn't start hurting as much, since you only mentioned it yesterday. So I think you caught it in time."
 
"Yeah. But here's what I wanted to show you! LOOK at this information that was in the box for my Z-pack! It was folded tight! I'm surprised they could even fit it in there."
 
 
Sweet Gummi Mary! I could make a muu-muu out of that insert! For The Pony to wear on his first day of training, heh, heh! As long as he doesn't wear open-toed shoes. They are forbidden for USPS indoctrination, orientation, whatever you call it.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Instead of covering himself in velvet, he could cover himself in an antibiotic warning...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
IF it was socially acceptable...

River said...

I'm often surprised at the size of the papers stuffed in with medications, just a short piece on how to take the medicine, then a zillion words on possible side effects. Does anybody ever read the whole thing?
You had me laughing at Muu-Muu.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The print is so small that it would take me a year to read it, WITH a magnifying glass! The sight of the paper laid out like that on the kitchen table just reminded me of a dress.