Saturday, April 17, 2021

There's Something Fishy In Hillmomba

My good luck seems to have no end! Not only have I been on a winning streak lately with the scratchers, but I discovered Friday morning that I have a FISHING LICENSE FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA!

Yeah, I know! Please try to conceal your envy. Without even lifting a pinky finger in effort, I obtained a license to fish in a place I've never been. It's good until the end of this year! I can fish in the Potomac, people! But I have to be careful not to eat 
 
"...eel, carp, or striped bass caught in the District waters, because they are the most contaminated by chemicals like polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)." 

Dang it! I guess I'll have to make do with "no more than 1 serving per month of channel catfish, two of largemouth bass, three of white perch and blue catfish, and four of sunfish." Oh, and a serving is 8 oz of uncooked fish.

I have no idea what's going on here! But in my email, I had a "DOEE Fishing License Customer Acknowledgement Email."

There's a copy of the license. It looks kind of legit. But apparently my name is now Alvin. And my birthdate is in January of 1970. I paid with a card ending in (oops! Didn't think I'd tell you THAT, did you?) not my credit card numbers. My address is in Oxon hill, DC. Uh huh. Only capitalize the first word there. I paid $13 on my card to get my fishing license.

My Badge Number is: Regular NON Resident
My email address is: 01191970

Oh, yeah. And I'm male.

Not sure what's going on here. Is somebody impersonating me to fish in the District of Columbia? Will the real Alvin get caught with his hand in the fishy creel, and not have his fishing license?

Something is fishy in Hillmomba.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Were any of those details a red herring, to send us off in the wrong direction as we try to unravel this mess for you? (I could not resist.)

River said...

Sounds like some kind of scam to me. Highlight the email, mark it as spam then delete it.
I've only been fishing twice in my life, caught nothing both times.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Nope. No red herrings. But there are plenty more fish in the Potomac.

***
River,
I LOVE to fish! It's been a few years since we've been. In fact, I have a new pole still in the package, given to me by HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) several Christmases ago.

Maybe Farmer H will take me one evening. We have a piece of land at a local lake development, which has several small ponds to fish in, one with benches at the water's edge. Oh, wait! I'll need a FISHING LICENSE before we go!

It DOES seem to be a scam. I used to get emails all the time saying I'd won some foreign lottery. Only they called me GLORIA.