Thursday, October 14, 2021

Even The Elderly Want To Help Mrs. HM

Wednesday, I took the SPRINT bill for mailing. I'd planned to go to the main post office because it's more reliable, but time got away from me, and I didn't want to use more T-Hoe gas. So I went to the dead-mouse-smelling post office. I thought about parking in their lot, and using the ramp, not the stairs. Such a toss-up. Walk four times farther, or go up six steps? I opted for the steps. They have a sturdy rail.

I parked in front, on the street. I got out and hobbled behind T-Hoe, holding on to his rear to step up on the sidewalk. An older gentleman was walking down the sidewalk toward me. He had gray hair, and was wearing shorts. I thought he was going in the post office, so I stopped to wait. He slowed down.

"Oh, I thought you were going inside, so I was going to let you go ahead of me. Because I'm really slow."

"Are you just mailing that letter?" the Old Man asked, coming to a stop. 

I realized he was going to offer to TAKE MY LETTER IN AND PUT IT IN THE SLOT!

"Yes, but I can do that. Thank you, though."

You know you're really feeble when old people take pity on you and want to help!

4 comments:

River said...

Gray hair does not necessarily mean older, that gentleman might have started turning gray in his early thirties and now be no older than 45 or so. Unless he also had the age wrinkles. I hope he didn't make you feel too feeble.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Trust me, I know an old person when I see one! I didn't think describing his weathered wrinkly skin and gramps-legs was necessary, once I labeled him OLD. It's not like he was gray-haired like Max, the former sidekick on MTV's Catfish show, who says he started going gray at 15.

https://decider.com/2018/08/08/max-joseph-leaving-catfish-mtv/

He did not make me feel any more feeble than usual! That said, TODAY I have felt better than any day in the past 6 weeks. I don't know the reason. Maybe my Fake-Cheerio and banana routine while spacing out the meds is working...

Sioux Roslawski said...

Perhaps you need to set up a fake Cheerio and banana booth? Maybe in front of
Devil's Playground, or in front of the post office? I can see it being so successful, you soon will offer franchise opportunities.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's a most scathingly brilliant idea! I could put my old driver's license photo on the box, saying "DON'T end up like this! Eat your Fake Honey Nut Cheerios (and a banana) every day!" I could sell boxes of cereal at a markup, and individual bowls with a banana cut up on top. I'd have Farmer H find me some Goodwill or auction bowls or mini saucepans, with a handle on the side. So my product would be one-handed consumable. No spoon necessary. You could even eat it while driving!