Saturday, October 16, 2021

In Our Continuing Series On People Doing Their Jobs Not-Right...

It will come as no surprise to you that The Pony's credit card issue has not been resolved. In fact, The Pony's credit card issue is exactly the same as it was 12 DAYS AGO when I called the credit card company on Oct 4.

You may recall that the rep told me to have our branch bank fax them the documentation they have on file, and that nobody at the bank would answer the phone. But the next day when I called, I got a real person, only to find out that she WORKS FROM HOME and has nothing to do with in-bank operations. And informed me that fax is an old technology, rarely used. SO... I drove to the bank, where an office-lady offered to fax, but I told her my call-back to a different credit card rep pointed me to EMAIL the info. So she did. She said to give it a week to get in the system.

With the bank holiday for Columbus Day (now Indigenous Peoples Day) on Monday, I waited. Waited until Thursday to follow through. I called the credit card company. Heh, heh! I got one of the reps I talked to before. He looked it up, and said there is nothing showing that has changed. No record of info received. I asked if I could email the documents myself. No. It is really best to FAX the documents. He gave me the fax number.

Of course nobody at the branch bank would answer the phone. Straight to the corporate number again. So I had to drive out there, rushing, since I'd spent 15 minutes on hold for the credit card rep, was in the midst of reading off my account number when we were cut off, and then waited another 10 minutes on hold to get the guy I'd talked to before. Anyhoo... I rushed to the bank to make it by the 2:30 lobby-close time, only to find out I had misunderstood, and it closed at 2:00.

So.... I went to the drive-thru. Sent documents through the tube. Got a greeting this time.

"How are you doing?"

"Not well. I thought I had this issue taken care of last Tuesday. But NOTHING has been done."

"Oh. I think I'm the person who helped you that day."

"Well, they have no record of receiving our documentation. The credit card rep says it really should be faxed, and that I can't email it myself. So the papers I sent in have the fax number. He didn't give me a contact name."

"Oh. We really don't use our fax. Anything I send just seems to go out there and float around. Nobody gets it. We have two fax machines, and they're both the same way."

"He said to fax the documents. What if I go over to your main bank in Bill-Paying Town? Can they do it for me?"

"Oh, no. They are the same as us. We just don't send faxes any more."

"Then what am I supposed to do?"

"Do you want me to try and fax them?"

"Yes. I sent in the number."

She came back after about 5 minutes.

"I tried, twice, but it's not sending."

"I don't have any other way to get the information to them. I guess the only solution is to cancel this credit card, and open a new one."

"Oh, I wouldn't do that. This one has such a history to it."

"It's no good if we can't use it!"

"I will make a copy of your papers, and tomorrow I will reach out to the credit card company."

"Good luck with that. I was on hold for 15 minutes, then another 10."

"If I need any information from you, I will give you a call. I can't do it now, because I'm the only one here. Tomorrow I will have staff, and I can do it then."

When I got home, I looked at my papers she sent back. She included a copy of the fax report that said the document had not gone through. I saw the number she had put into the fax. I might be crazy, but I'm pretty sure it works like any long-distance number, and you have to first put in a "1" and then the area code and 7-digit phone number. She had not put in a 1. I might be crazy, but I'm thinking that could be the reason why these dimwits can never get their fax machines to work!

I told Farmer H that I was thinking about DRIVING OUT TO THE BANK (25-minute trip for me) the next morning, to ask her to try sending it with a "1" before the fax number. Because you KNOW that nobody would answer the phone if I tried to call and explain it. The more I thought about it, I decided NO. Why should I get up early, and waste T-Hoe's gas to drive to the bank at 9:00 a.m. and tell them how to do their job?

I will go back to the bank on Monday. I have other business to do there anyway. I will ask what the progress is on this credit card issue. If nothing has been accomplished, I'm going to ask what The Pony needs to do to open another credit card, and then I'll spend my last 15 minutes ever on hold with this credit card company to call and cancel this one. Like The Pony says, closing a credit card does not affect his credit rating that he's built up over the past 3-4 years. It's not like it gets erased.

Funny how "during the current situation," as the bank automated line calls it, the bank can't do business with you over the phone as normal, and their lobby hours are reduced. You know, because THE VIRUS can only attack you before 9:00 and after 2:00, and over the phone. Yet a doctor won't renew your regular prescriptions for 6 months with a telephone appointment, but only if you drag yourself into the office (mine located in the hospital building) where you have to rub six-foot elbows with possible sick people.

Maybe the doctor should meet with patients in the bank lobby between 9:00 and 2:00, where and when nobody can be infected...

4 comments:

River said...

How on earth do those people get to work in such important places as banks??
Please, tell them about the "1" and insist they try it right now while you are there.
Tell them I said so. Then have them makes notes and stick them to both fax machines about using the "1".
Then hope that people actually read those notes.
My doctor renews my 6 month prescriptions over the phone and faxes them to my local pharmacy.

Sioux Roslawski said...

I heard from somebody who spoke to somebody who works at Dollar General. They said they just opened a case of merchandise, and in it was 4th of July stuff--just a few months too late.

Apparently there IS a slow boat to/from China... and apparently everything is getting screwed up or inconvenient because of Covid...

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I don't know, but they get 8 weeks of training to become so good at doing the job, heh, heh!

I am going to follow up Monday, when I go to redeem some savings bonds that I've been putting off all year, since I can go in the lobby again. I'd like to tell them to make notes about using the "1" to dial a long distance fax number, and stick them on ALL WORKERS' foreheads! That way they can be reminded all day long. In case they start answering the phones again, so they can tell people, "Sure we have a fax machine, and we know how to use it."

Mine (nurse practitioner) will give me ONE MONTH extra if I call the office, but only with the stipulation that I MUST come in for an appointment or I won't get any more refills.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
And yet the shelves are full of toilet paper! At least in Hillmomba. My opinion (everybody has one, you know!) is that people getting that extra $600 per month unemployment for sitting at home is what's affecting the transport of goods and MY BANK BEING UNABLE TO ANSWER THEIR FREAKIN' PHONE!

The Gas Station Chicken Store has been without chicken for almost TWO YEARS! They can't even get people to work as cashiers, much less in the chicken kitchen. Not even with a hiring bonus. But the poor "essential" workers have worked all along, getting their regular pay, and no $600 a month reward. You'd think now that Missouri has cut out that $600, more people would go back to work... Farmer H says they still get an extra $200 over regular unemployment. I can't verify that.

Anyhoo... THE BOATS ARE HERE! Parked off the coasts, waiting to be unloaded by workers who won't work, and driven to their destinations by truckers who won't truck.

The most amazing part of your comment is that you talked to SOMEBODY WHO WORKS!!! Just today, the Gas Station Chicken Store had a new sign up on the door, looking for cashiers. While both Woman Owner and Man Owner were working the registers themselves. The Pony had extra work today, because another one of the new CCAs QUIT this morning before 8:30.