Friday, October 29, 2021

Lock The Doors And Set Up A Wooden Stand

I went to my bank on Thursday. It was not a satisfying experience. But you knew that...

I swear, the corporate office needs to lock the doors of this branch location, and set up a wooden stand like Lucy Van Pelt's booth dishing out psychiatry advice!

The lobby closes at 2:00. I got there before 1:30. I walked inside behind an amply-rumpused blond woman who strode in like she was on a mission. By the time I got up the one-step sidewalk and through the doors, Blondie was behind the counters, over by the vault and safety deposit box area. I'm pretty sure she wasn't robbing them. The Teller said something to Blondie, who came out and sat down in the chairs by the glass office of the worker who was so unhelpful to me over the credit card issue.

The Teller came to the only open window, which had a sign saying NEXT WINDOW PLEASE, even though the other two clearly had signs saying CLOSED.

"What can I help you with?"

"Three things. Two are really easy, but one will take a little time."

"Oh. Well. I'm the only teller here. So I won't be able to do anything that takes time. What is it you wanted to do?"

"Get two rolls of pennies for this dollar, withdraw $60 from my checking account with this withdrawal slip, and redeem three EE Savings Bonds."

"We don't redeem savings bonds."

"You did last week!"

"Well, yesterday we were notified that we can't do it any more."

"Then how am I supposed to redeem my savings bonds?"

"You'll have to reach out to the Treasury Department."

"Why did they change the policy yesterday?"

"Because too many counterfeit savings bonds were being cashed."

Huh. I wonder if that was a veiled insinuation as to the validity of MY savings bonds! My Public Enemy reputation is hard to shake. Anyhoo... The Teller took my dollar and withdrawal slip, and said, 

"I'll be right with you. I had this other lady first."

Not a problem. I could see cars at the drive-thru. And Blondie was cooling her plump heels in the waiting area. Turns out she was wanting change, and right after giving me my two rolls of pennies, The Teller told her,

"I don't have any pennies to give you. I mean, we HAVE the pennies, but they're in the safe, and I can't get to them right now. Somebody else will have to do that."

"Oh, I don't HAVE to have them now. I still have some. I was just going to stock up. Just give me the others, and I'll be fine. I'll come back tomorrow."

I guess she runs some kind of business that actually takes real money and dispenses change. Anyhoo... here's my question. 

IS MY PATRONAGE NOT AS IMPORTANT AS ANY RANDOM DICK, HARRY, OR TOM?

Why should I be told I can't be helped, in the order that I have arrived and been waited on? Should I stand there for eternity, or until closing time, while The Teller waits on everybody else at the drive-thru, just because they might have simpler needs? What's next, giving preference to those who have $10,000 in the bank, ahead of those who have $100 in their account? Will The Teller only assist those customers with simple needs? 
 
Because be sure to let me know, and I will NOT take up time opening a new credit card account through their bank. Or apply for a loan. I'll just use them as moneychangers, and take my fortune elsewhere. To a bank that might actually ASSIST ME in my banking needs.

How can the corporate office justify keeping this facility open, paying the costs of insurance and electricity and taxes on the property, and harboring two unusable fax machines, to only have ONE PERSON waiting on customers? Set up that little wooden booth, with a folding chair to sit on, a bucket of money out of sight at her feet, and a sign on the front saying: THE TELLER IS [IN]competent. Unless her job description only involves making change, and making deposits and withdrawals.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

What is going on with pennies? Places like QT don't give back pennies. This evening, I went through a drive-thru for a sandwich, and was asked if I wanted the pennies back (3 of 'em). Of course I did. I'm not going to just give some corporation a few extra cents.

After all, 100 of them make a dollar...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You go, Madam! Pinch all the pennies you can, especially the pennies that rightfully belong to YOU! I'm guessing maybe the drive-thru wanted to keep your pennies to give to somebody who insisted on getting their change back. Surely you wouldn't expect a corporation to dole out a NICKEL to somebody if they were short on pennies to give correct change! You might actually have been given pennies that somebody else gave up earlier in the shift. You will now be marked DIFFICULT in your drive-thru file...

River said...

I think you should type and send multiple complaints letters to the Bank Head Office, a couple a week for a few months. Maybe something will get done to change things. Especially with regards to the cashing of bonds.
We no longer have pennies here in Aus, so prices get rounded up to the nearest five or ten cents, so if something is priced at 2.99, you'll pay $3, at $2.94 you'll pay $2.95, if using cash. If you pay by card, you only pay the stated price and the extra 1 cent stays in your account. But since we don't have pennies, we never get less than 5 cents change, unless it is no cents.

River said...

Anonymous complaints of course, don't put your name or address on them.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That is a good idea. I'm not sure the letters will be read, what with nothing else being done with the credit card issue, and the current mail delivery! It's like people don't really care about HELPING PEOPLE!

I think Farmer H said that when he was in Brazil, everything got rounded to the nearest dollar. I wonder if your nickel policy will eventually change to a dime policy, then quarter policy...

Farmer H thinks our financial advisor's office might be able to cash bonds. The office manager overheard us talking about them during our meeting, and hollered in, "I can help you with bonds." I'm going to call them next week. And also my credit union, if they can't.