Sunday, October 24, 2021

My Head Too Big To Rock The Togs

Spring has sprung, summer has simmered, and fall has felled the temperatures in Hillmomba! Friday night, the temps were in the 40s! Saturday brought pouring rain. Just thinking about the poor street-walking Pony sent a chill through my bones.

My basement lair has been getting colder! Now that I don't have my underdesk heater, I freeze. Despite wearing a fleece jacket with toasty pockets. It's hard to type with my hands in my pockets! Or even to scroll the mouse, and click to play Candy Crush. 
 
I mentioned to Farmer H that I need a nice warm sock cap. Not the one with the ball on top, the striped, sparkly one the boys gave me a few Christmases ago. It works, and had those nice ear flaps, but the big ball on top strains my neck to keep it balanced, and I have to tie the chin straps behind my head. Oh, how I rue the day that I went out on the back porch and had The Pony cut off the length (more than I wanted!) of my lovely lady-mullet. It at least kept the back of my neck warm.

Anyhoo... I used to have a medium brown sock cap, so comfy, that I wore in the days I walked a couple miles in the driveway or around the porch. I don't know where it is. Probably got wind of the atrocity suffered by my baby blue sweatshirt at the hands and privates of Farmer H, and went into deep hiding.

I mentioned my sock cap to Farmer H, who said, "I HAVE sock caps!"

Of course he does. Though he mainly sells hardware items at his Storage Unit Store, he sometimes has some togs. Perhaps gloves. A jacket or two. And sock caps. Bright orange sock caps for hunters! I think he bought some at an auction, even before he had the Storage Unit Store. Because I remember him making the boys wear them if they went outside during hunting season. He may have purchased more since then.

Anyhoo... Saturday, Farmer H said, "I put your sock cap on the table. You won't like it. It's orange."

"I don't care! I'll be wearing it in my office. Who's going to see it? I don't care what color!"
 
I took it down with me. Set it on my non-working printer, for when I got REALLY cold. Which took about two hours. I put on my new orange sock cap. Huh. 
 
I THINK THEY MUST BE CHILD SIZE!
 
It is not comfortable. Feels like my head is being squeezed. It keeps working its way up. Like it might shoot off the top of my head, similar to when Howie Mandel was just a stand-up comic, and would put the surgical glove down over his head and nose, and blow it up like a balloon, and then it would shoot off his noggin.
 
 
It's better than nothing. It might keep my core temperature half a degree warmer. But it's not holding in enough heat to keep blood flowing to my hands and feet. My body thinks I'm going hypothermic, and is rerouting blood to my vital organs!
 
Too bad Country Mart doesn't sell fluffy sock caps. I don't want to traipse around the Devil's Playground. Maybe I can try Tractor Supply, which is quite near Farmer H's Storage Unit Store.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I must have read it and forgot it. Is there a reason why you can't get a new heater? After all, we don't want your posts to come to an end. (There are also fingerless gloves, or gloves where you can bend over the tips to reveal/uncover the tips of the fingers.)


River said...

It does look a bit small, but the colour is gorgeous. Ask Farmer H if he has bigger ones. I remember "scarf caps" from when I was young. Mum would knit an extra long scarf, fold it in half, then stitch together on one side enough length to cover the head, we would put that "cap" part on our heads and wrap the long tails around our necks. We were toasty warm all winter.
Perhaps you could try a scarf and fingerless gloves, which do have fingers of course but the tips are open for things like typing.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
The only reason being FARMER H, who has always complained about my underdesk heater using SO MUCH electricity, even though he heats a BARn and Freight Container Garage 24/7 through the winter when he's not even over there! I wish he could find me one at the auction. I'll have to ask, since he says he never knows what to get me for Christmas.

I need to check into those gloves. I'm sure Amazon has them. I've suggested them to The Pony, who will need at least one hand of fingertips to use on his scanner thingy as he delivers packages.

***
River,
My mom gave me one of those scarf caps! Of course she didn't make it. She was more into cross stitch than knitting. I need to look for it. Might be in the hall closet. That last I remember wearing it was on school parking lot duty.

Farmer H says, "I've give you several hats!" Well, if you count "caps" which are certainly not warm knit sock caps.

This hat is Hunter Orange. I can't wear orange or yellow. They make my skin look corpse-y, as you can see in the picture! Of course, the only "people" who would see me in the basement would probably not notice the "corpse-y" connection.