Monday, October 4, 2021

Somebody Doing A Job Questionably

Wednesday I went by my pharmacy to see if my prescriptions were ready. I call them in, and usually get a text when they're ready. This time, the automated recording said they should be ready after 2:00. Since they banned people from going inside for so long, I got in the habit of using the drive-up window. We can go in now, but the window is quicker, and I'm not touching things that sick people might have touched, like the card-reader buttons, and the fake pen thingy attached to it, to sign my name. All I have to do at the window is hand the worker my debit card.

Anyhoo... it was 3:30, and I hadn't heard anything. This has happened before. Sometimes they're short on one of the medicines, and will have it the next day. I allow plenty of time so I don't run out. Since I was driving right by there anyway, I stopped.

"I'm not sure if my prescriptions are ready. I didn't get a text. If they're not, I'll come back tomorrow."

"Let me see..."

It was a new girl, early 20s. I'm always suspicious of a new worker. She was perfectly polite. Even misstated my DOB, making me automatically 10 years younger! Sadly, I corrected her. 

"Looks like I just need to package them. Be right back."

It didn't take long. She flipped up the receipt, and quoted me the price.

"Are you sure? Last month, it was $20 less! Could you look that up, please? And see what I paid then?"

"Well. Let me check. Huh. This computer is so slow! I'll have to go to the other one."

She went off in the direction of the counter. Was gone about 5 minutes. 

"Okay. The cost of one has gone up. But we're going to comp it for you."

Actually, it was almost $5 less than last month! But my receipt on the bag still had that amount that was $20 more. My register receipt didn't.

Here's the deal. When I used another pharmacy, my medicine was always the same amount. Every month. Like clockwork. But they fired a bunch of their workers, and redecorated their store, and lines and waits were longer. So I left them. My current pharmacy is behind Dairy Queen. Every month, the cost of my medicines varies by a few dollars and cents. Not always more, not always less. I don't get it. 

IF THEY CAN JUST TAKE OFF $20 LIKE THAT, HOW MUCH MIGHT THEY HAVE BEEN OVERCHARGING ME ALL ALONG?

If the price went up, then I should pay that price. Not get a discount because I questioned the window clerk. AND, it looked like my two generic prescriptions cost less than usual. I expect a standard amount for generics. Not sure what's going on here. But it was fishy as Not-Heaven. Not saying it was that girl's fault. It may be corporate policy. But something is off.

4 comments:

River said...

I'd be questioning that 'offness'. Go inside next time and ask to see the manager, get him or her to explain it all. Or go back to the better pharmacy.
My monthly prescriptions are $5.60 each, always, the steroid for my lungs is also $5.60 but takes a long while to run empty, the reliever inhalers are $10.60 for a two-pack which makes the $5.30 each, also take longer than a month to run empty.
None of the prices have changed since I began using them. It's the standard pensioners price here.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
We have people who get any prescription for $5. It's not us! Farmer H is old and on Medicare, and he pays a fortune for some of his meds. Probably so the freeloaders can get theirs for $5. There should be a different system, so those who are underemployed without insurance can get cheaper meds, but those who sponge off society and won't work when able should have an alternative payment. Such as "Will work for meds." Heh, heh. I don't think my idea would be very popular...

Sioux Roslawski said...

I had been going to a chain place for my meds (let's call it "Drug Store" like you call it "Ceiling Reds." Then they got difficult to deal with (locked the door five minutes early to make sure they got out in time--while I stood there with my phone in hand--and then later lied about it) so I went to a place right by work (I figure I go past it every afternoon during the week) and before, all meds were $20 or $25 total. At this place, they were under $5.

Last month was my first time. When I get them this month, I hope it wasn't just a "new customer" discount...

Yeah, there's big money in drugs.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's a bargain! I hate the door-locking. My OLD bank did that to us one time. The pharmacy used to run my generics without my insurance, because it was cheaper! Drugs are a racket, as is insurance.