Sunday, October 10, 2021

SOMEBODY Needs To Invent A Better PurseTrap

I guess it's that time of year again, although I don't know if there really IS a season for begging outside convenience stores. I'm not talking about somebody down on their luck, with a cardboard sign. It's the organized beggars. Not that there's anything wrong with begging. If that's the most efficient way an organization can find to rake in donations, I don't begrudge them their effort. I am free to make the decision whether to open up my purse or not.

You may recall that Mrs. HM does not like this type of soliciting, and rarely gives anything to such a set-up. I have my charities or organizations that I donate to by mail, with a check for my records. I don't like to be bothered by random beggars. I don't like surprises, or variances in my routine. When I patronize a business, my plan is to enter and exit unmolested. No extra effort needed for small talk or refusals.

This week I have seen beggars outside the Gas Station Chicken Store on two consecutive days, at the Hillmomba Caseys, the Sis-Town Casey's, and Orb K. Even if I gave to one, how would the others know? Or should I just say, "I gave at Casey's." Whether I did or didn't. Well. That's a moot point, because so far, 

NOBODY HAS ASKED ME IF I WANT TO DONATE!

Yeah. They just sit there. Or stand there. And look at me as I walk by. Sometimes, one will say, "Hi. How ya doin'." And I reply "Just fine, thanks." Sometimes they are in pairs, busy conversing with each other, and I get a glance, then forgotten. I prefer it this way.

Here's the thing. If they want a donation, they should greet me, say what they're collecting for, and ask if I want to donate. I can either say, "Not today, sorry." Or I can toss a few dollars their way. I always have a few ones in my shirt pocket for an extra scratcher for The Pony. Depends on what they're collecting for. Which I DON'T KNOW!

I think the two early-30s men I passed at Orb K today were wearing aprons that said Knights of Columbus. Which still doesn't say what they want the donations for, even though I've heard of their organization. If I see a man blocking traffic at a stop sign, holding out a big rubber boot, I figure he's collecting for the firefighters. If I see an old man sitting in front of Country Mart with a small table covered with fake wire poppies, I figure it's the American Legion collecting for veterans. But these other beggars do not give me any clue what they are collecting for. They are not mainstream enough for me to recognize.

So... Mrs. HM's purse will remain closed.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I beg at a bookstore during the holiday time--for my dog rescue--but I am offering to giftwrap their purchases for free. I'd appreciate a donation, but it's not necessary.

River said...

Charity collectors here always have a sign stating which charity they belong to. Any other random collectors are considered beggars and if they start actively bothering people for cash they get moved on by the management of whichever store they are in front of. If they just sit there hoping for a few coins they get left alone. Usually I just walk right past the charity people but if they ask I tell them I donate online.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I would imagine that you greet people cordially, and state your purpose, and perhaps have a sign proclaiming your cause. If not, my purse (and shirt pocket) would be hermetically sealed against any accidental giving!

***
River,
One good thing about Country Mart changing ownership last year is that the random peddlers have been greatly reduced. I haven't seen the "bagging for tips" group, nor anybody selling candy bars, nor the brand-name window guy handing out pamphlets aggressively.