Tuesday, October 5, 2021

Somebody AVOIDING Doing A Job

Who knew this job thing would become a series? Not this old gal. But here it is. Every day I encounter a jobbish problem. Without revealing too much info (heh, heh, as if THAT has ever been a concern for Mrs. HM), I will try to relate Monday's episode. You know how in A League of Their Own, that etiquette instructor told the team, "A lady reveals NOTHING." Well. Mrs. HM is no lady...

The Pony (and I) got a letter that his (our) credit card account has been put on a security hold. It's his account and credit card, but my name is on it from when he opened a student account, and relied on me to handle rare financial transactions from this end. In fact, he was in the bank while healing from his broken ankle, to take care of a legal matter involving a name issue (lets just say it's similar to changing the account from "A Nag" to "The Pony"), and left my name on it on purpose. "You know, Mom, in case I need you to do anything for me while I'm at work."

Anyhoo... The Pony had tried to use his credit card on his day off last Friday, at Steak N Shake. I didn't work, so he used his debit. Apparently, the actual bank account is fine, but the credit card account (also through the bank) is not. We got the letter on Friday evening. So I couldn't call until Monday.

It took 8 minutes on hold to get through. I had a pleasant young man who had no trace of an accent. He was perfectly understandable, even though our landline had a terrible buzz that Farmer H is dragging his feet to diagnose. Anyhoo... the first thing Credit Card Guy said was, 
 
"Please give me your account number."

I read off the last four digits, which were all that were listed on the security hold letter.

"No. I have to have the full account number."

"I don't have that. I don't even use this account. My son uses it, I only have my name on it. He's at work. I don't have the full account number, and I've been on hold for nearly 10 minutes. I guess I'll have to call back another day."

"Well... what's your name? I can try to get in another way."

AS IF he didn't have all our account information right there in front of him once I gave my name. They can see the number you're calling from, too, and our home phone is listed on that account. Anyhoo... Credit Card Guy listened to my explanation of the problem. 

"We will need documentation of the change before we can unlock this account."

"How am I supposed to do THAT? He took the paperwork to our branch bank. They changed the name on the bank account. They took a copy, and gave the legal papers back."

"Which branch bank is this?"

"The Hillmomba bank."

"You can call them, and they can send us the documentation."

"Will they know where to sent it?"

"No. We'll have to give them the fax number."

"Uhhhhhhhhhhh..."

"I can call them, and then you can call them as well."

"So YOU will call them?"

"Yes. As soon as I hang up from this call."

"Okay. And then I will try this afternoon, to check on it."

"Yes. That will be fine. Do you have any other questions?"

"Does this affect the actual bank account? We think it's just the credit card account."

"I don't know that information."

"Okay. Thank you so much."

Well. I called the branch bank. I pushed "3" to talk to a person at that branch. And I got a recording that said the staff at this bank was unable to take my call, possibly because of "the current situation" and that I could call the automated number to talk to someone with the bank.

I tried TWICE! It was 1:20 p.m. The bank hours said the lobby is open from 9:00 to 2:00. And the drive-thru until 4:30. Farmer H came in, and said to call the main bank over in Bill-Paying Town. I tried that, and got the same message.

My issue is NOT with Credit Card Guy, who helped me to the best of his ability. But what if HE tried to call the branch bank, and got that same message? How in the NOT-HEAVEN does any banking business get done???

Tuesday, I'm going to the branch bank with The Pony's paperwork, to get to the bottom of this matter. If the bank hasn't heard anything about this, I will have a hissy-fit! THEY are the ones who will have to figure out who to contact to provide this information. They're the ones who promote this credit card. I can't go calling and sitting on hold and asking all willy-nilly for a fax number for a bank to forward documents.

Seriously. Are these bank employees afraid they'll catch THE VIRUS over the phone? I don't think there's any excuse for not answering the phone. Not everybody lives close enough, or has time off during business hours, to drive in and ask a question about their account! They should have one of those workers as a designated phone-answerer. Like those loan people. They're rarely busy when I've been there.

How can you justify not answering a business phone? Unless you're avoiding work... Do they just turn it off so it gives that message? Shouldn't it give a message like "All lines are busy, please stay on the line until someone is available to take your call?" Like at the credit card number.

2 comments:

River said...

So now you have shonky bank service as well as shonky Post office services?
Is it really necessary for your name to still be on The Pony's card?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I've had questionable bank service for a while. Ever since that one gal tried to say I was depositing a counterfeit check, because she called the wrong bank to verify the credit union check I'd just picked up a couple miles down the road.

As I've mentioned, The Pony WANTS my name still on that account, so I can do business like this for him when he's not available. Genius dropped me like a hot potato the minute he turned 18, as I remember...