Sunday, October 3, 2021

Somebody Doing A Job Right

I went to the main post office on Thursday for stamps. Seeing as how I'd read that mail rates were going up on October 1. I was the only customer at the counter. I was pleased to see Cheerful Guy come out of the back room when he heard the bell on the door.

Cheerful Guy is perhaps mid-20s. Every time I see him, he is polite with customers, and seems as if he ENJOYS HIS JOB. The Pony knows him by name, and he knows who The Pony is, because he mentioned speaking to The Pony on the day I went in to pick up a form for the broken ankle adventure that was just starting.

"I'm just here to buy three books of stamps, since the price will be going up tomorrow, I think."

"Actually, that's a common misconception. Stamps are staying the same, but the cost of mailing packages is going up."

"I mailed a package here on the 17th, and it STILL hasn't arrived!"
 
"Ooh." [Cheerful Guy raised an eyebrow.]
 
"Yesterday it finally got to Knoxville, Tennessee, on its way to London, Kentucky."
 
"Well, then. There ya go!" [Said Cheerful Guy, as if he knew all about an issue with either Tennessee or Kentucky. Or maybe he knows too much about London, Kentucky, being the center for appealing a workman's compensation case!]
 
"Oh. Well. I still want three books of stamps. What kind do you have?"

"Let's see... I have these, and these, and this one..."

Cheerful guy must have set seven or eight varieties of stamps on the counter.
 
"I didn't mean for you to go to all this trouble! I don't have to see them all."
 
"It's no trouble. I always like to show people what we have. And THIS ONE I can't-- [he looked at his watch] actually, I can sell it to you right now."
 
That was the Day of the Dead stamps that I chose. Kind of creepy, but kind of cool. I also picked the Western Wear, and a book of the regular flag stamps. Because my bills don't need nothin' fancy! Anyhoo... here's a picture of the two new kinds I bought.
 
 
"Are these all the same amount? Because one time I bought some at the Hillmomba post office, and there were fewer stamps, for the same price. And the lady wouldn't let me return them."

"They're all the same. Twenty stamps, for $11.60 each book."

"Okay. I'll take the Western, and the Day of the Dead, and the flags. Those children's Halloween look cute, but I'll stick with the Dead."

"Those Halloween stamps are HUGE!"

"I've been using the Star Wars stamps, and I have to be careful how far my address goes out, because the stamp will cover it if I'm not careful."

"These are even bigger than the Star Wars!"

Too bad I didn't take a picture of the whole selection. But I didn't want to be a WEIRDO! Because I want Cheerful Guy to stay cheerful for my next visit, and not run in the back room screaming, and send out that nitwit that I think messed up The Pony's package (heh, heh).

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

That is good news about the stamps.

Yes, "The Joke" seems to be far easier for you to parody. Try it one more time, and I WILL report you to the PP--the parody police.

River said...

Go ahead and be a weirdo. Take that photo. Cheerful Guy won't mind at all. I am SO jealous that you have Day of the Dead stamps!!
I have a Day of the Dead calendar waiting in a drawer for next year. Last year I had a similar one, Sugar Skulls, they are so pretty I want to frame them and put the pictures up right along one wall just below the cornice. If I wasn't afraid of falling (again) off the tall ladder I would do it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Is parodying The Joker a violation of a LAW, or just a MANDATE, heh, heh! Will I get a stern talking-to and ridiculed, or will I be body-slammed and handcuffed, and carted off to the crossbars Hilton? I need to assess the risk before I push the envelope on your idle threats, Madam!

***
River,
STAY OFF THE LADDER! Nobody wants to get injured in these tyrannical times! I am sorry to have flaunted my Day of the Dead stamps. I had no idea you were such a fan of skulls. At least you got to enjoy a brief glimpse of their beauty. Hot off the post office counter, on the first day sales were allowed.

The Pony was nearly outraged at the sight. "WHY are they releasing Day of the Dead stamps NOW? That should have been in May! I am sending a picture to Bestie! She lives in Texas, you know, and will understand how WRONG this is!" I guess maybe it was for a Halloween theme for October...