Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Farmer H Is One Of Those People Who Give Something And Then Take It Back

If you're a Seinfeld aficionado, you'll understand the title. Let's just say that episode involved a certain life-size wooden statue found at a cigar store, and political correctness concerning Jerry's new girlfriend.

Anyhoo... it's relevant here because once upon a time, Farmer H gave me a new heater for my dark basement lair. You might recall that my underdesk heater went on the fritz, then came back to life, then finally bit the dust. I've been freezing for a while now. It's not quite as bad during the summer months. Even though I DID used to run it because the air conditioning was too cold down here.

Anyhoo... the new heater Farmer H gave me wasn't new at all. I think he found it in the stuff from the original 18 storage units that he bought. It's a little beige radiator-looking heater. Like in my 2nd grade classroom. A RADIATOR! You don't wanna touch that baby when it's running! 

This little radiator is about 2 feet tall. It has 6 "folds" that radiate the heat. It's electric. I'm not sure it is fully working. Oh, it DOES take the chill off. I am at this very moment without my orange sock cap! My fingers have enough feeling to type. Sure, my thighs still feel like corpse thighs when I'm sitting on the throne in the NASCAR bathroom next to my lair. But it's definitely an improvement over NO heater.

This little radiator would be more effective if it had a fan or blower. I think it does have one, but it doesn't work. There are two dials. One clicks into notches that saw LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH. I hear nothing when I change from one setting to another. The other dial turns smoothly. It has a little circular stripe that starts out thin, and gets thicker on the other end. So I'm thinking that's the amount of heat you're getting.

Anyhoo... this little radiator radiates like a charm. If I walk past and hold my hand over the top, I can feel the heat coming off of it. I have to set it in the middle of my lair walkway. It's supposed to be 2 or 3 feet away from objects. Right now one side is only about 18 inches away from my newer (unused) rolly chair. But nothing is close enough to burst into flames. Nothing is in contact.

The plug-in cord of this little radiator gets hot. Farmer H says they will do that. The thick extension cord I have it plugged into gets hot on about the last four inches of the cord. I monitor it closely. It's within arm's reach. I always unplug this little radiator when I leave my lair. The only exception being trips to the NASCAR bathroom next door.

Farmer H said this weekend that he's planning to take this little radiator over to Pony House, so he can have heat while he works. I'm not thrilled about that...

4 comments:

River said...

That cord should NOT be getting hot. The actual plug, if connected to an extension cord will get warm if run for hours at a time, but if plugged into a proper outlet, it won't, or shouldn't. I hope Farmer H takes time to feel that cord now and again to make sure it isn't burning up. We don't want it catching fire while he's not looking!
I suggest spending a few of your own dollars and buying a new, safe heater for your lair. Or some fur-lined Eskimo clothes including the boots and hood.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I DO run it for hours if I'm in my lair with it. I can't plug it directly into an outlet, because I can't crawl under my desk every time. Or even once! If Farmer H was building my lair right now, I would make sure he put outlets at the height of the counters and desktop.

Farmer H has made his living working with machines, and wiring buildings with electricity. So he wouldn't steer me wrong on this cord thingy. (That "GREENboard" talk is another matter!) That's why I made sure to tell him that it got warm. I think that heater needs a bigger cord! It's the flat kind. Like might be attached to a lamp, not a 6-fold radiator! I hope it wasn't made in China!

I do want to find a nice fluffy knit sock cap, so I can forego the tight orange Farmer H version. I'm sure Farmer H and The Pony could SURPRISE me with my own portable heater if I pointedly asked for one for Christmas...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Yes, a heater would make a fine gift for Christmas! But be sure to research and be very specific about what you want. Some surprises aren't happy ones!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, their surprise of a new office chair. The thought was great, but it's too long for me to sit comfortably. I need thighs as long as a pro basketball player if my back is to rest against the chair back and my feet reach the floor.