Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Sweet Treats For The Unpetite

Sunday, I discovered that Farmer H had brought home a PIE from the auction Saturday night. It was down in the bottom of FRIG II, in the top of the two crisper drawers. Huh. Funny how he didn't mention it. Yes, of course I asked.

"Oh. I was gonna tell you. Look! I bought you some treats. A whole BAG of them!"

Farmer H walked to the table, and held up a Devil's Playground bag, full of clear bags of a cereal/candy mix of the type we call Puppy Chow. Which still didn't explain the pie. Yes, of course I steered the conversation back.

"It's not really a pie. It says it's a turtle cheesecake. With caramel and pecans. But when I ate some, it didn't really taste like cheesecake to me."

I tried a piece on Sunday night. Not a fan. It has a dark cookie crumble crust, like ground Oreo. Kind of a smushy tasteless middle. An occasional pecan. And some liquidy caramel drizzle. Not bad, but not much flavor. I won't be having any more. 
 
However... I tried some of the Puppy Chow stuff on Monday. My mom used to make Puppy Chow. It consists of Crispix cereal, which is like Chex in a more round, perhaps pentagon shape, coated with a combo of melted chocolate and peanut butter, then shaken with powdered sugar. The auction version is a little different. 

 
All but one (of the 9 remaining, since I found an empty one in the wastebasket) bags is the Puppy Chow. One is labeled as Haystacks. I've had them before. I think they are sesame noodles coated with melted butterscotch chips. I left them for Farmer H. Here's a closeup of my Puppy Chow:

 
I posed the label off the bag in the ramekin with a portion. Apparently, THIS Puppy Chow has a special pedigree. It's White Chocolate Pom Chow. There is Rice Chex, white chocolate chips, and M&Ms. There's some peanut butter blobs, too. Maybe mixed with powdered sugar. Very tasty. Farmer H got the candy and pie for the grand sum of ONE DOLLAR! He entered the table drawing, the price of a ticket being $1, and won it, choosing these treats as his prize.

Thanks, Farmer H. Even though you tried to hide your secret pie.

4 comments:

River said...

Holy bananas! Just thinking of the amount of sugar in those treats could send a diabetic into a coma. You don't eat one bag every day do you?
It's a good win for one dollar though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Rumors of my gluttony have been greatly exaggerated. No, I don't eat a bag every day. I still have the first bag I brought down here, sitting on the side desk in my lair. I eat what is in the ramekin. I DO believe that Farmer H ate a whole bag, since I saw one in the wastebasket. I'm HOPING it was The Pony, who needs his energy for walking 9-10 miles a day at work.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have a sweet tooth myself. Fortunately it is easy to satisfy with a little brown sugar on oatmeal. I find myself not liking things as sweet as I used to. HeWho will eat an entire batch of cookies if I don't hide them in portions. Now I want some cookies!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Mmm. Oatmeal. I have some packets of the instant brown sugar flavor. I'd rather have it than cookies.