Wednesday, November 24, 2021

I'm Pretty Sure It's Just The Boiled Eggs, And Not Brimstone...

The Mansion is smelly today, my friends. Smelly, like a poopy dead skunk dragged into a crawlspace by a long speckled dog who gets blamed for everything. No. My very special Jack has never done such a thing! And this smell is a bit more like sulfur. I'm pretty sure it's just the aroma of the two dozen eggs I boiled on Tuesday, to be ready for my deviled egg preparations on Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve.

Yes, Wednesday will be quite tedious for Mrs. HM. I have to peel a lot of potatoes, and shuck a lot of eggshells, and chop romaine and green onions for the 7 Layer Salad. The sides dishes of that salad, and roasted veggies, and deviled eggs, and potato salad, plus the Oreo Cake dessert, should be done before I can retire to my dark basement lair for a respite and repast.

My FREE turkey has been thawing in FRIG II since Monday. It was still hard as a boulder on Tuesday evening. It will be baked, along with some ham, on Thursday morning. Also, the hash brown casserole will be slipped into the oven for a 45-minute bake. And the Sister Schubert's rolls. So everything should be under control on Thanksgiving itself.

I WILL make time for my town trip on Wednesday. I will buy extra scratchers so I have some on Thursday evening. I think that's a fitting reward, after cooking for two days, and washing up all the impending dirty dishes. I'm pretty sure Farmer H will make an excuse to go up to his Storage Unit Store after the feast. And The Pony will most likely take an early bath, since it will be back to work on Friday.

That's okay. I'm pretty sure I can recover from the effort expended. PLUS, there will be delicious leftovers, which people can prepare for themselves!

5 comments:

Rae said...

My gosh, you have got a lot of items on your menu for Thanksgiving. I am not doing near as much as you are, but it is only my husband and myself. He brought home a 13.7# turkey from work last Friday and it has been thawing in the fridge. My refrigerator is packed and so makes everything a challenge. I did make our dressing/stuffing today. Will also make a pumpkin pie today. I also have baked the squash ahead. So tomorrow is turkey bake, potatoes peeled, cooked and mashed and gravy to make. We do not do cranberries but I may try doing a small dish of sweet potatoes without the marshmallows. We are also having the same rolls from Sister Schubert. Later in the evening we will have a glass of egg nog with some brandy. I rarely drink but do enjoy a glass of nog. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving and I am jealous of all the leftovers you will have. Yum! Ranee (MN)

Sioux Roslawski said...

I encountered a relative of something of yours. That odd cabbage you had? That head of cabbage must have had a one-nighter with an onion, because I bought a bag of onions and in that bag... was the ba$tard child that resulted from that fling.

Very strange indeed.

River said...

If you lived here, all of that would be over and done with by now.
Joke: Mum can I have a dog for Christmas?"
"no, you'll be eating turkey like everyone else."

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
AND I'm leaving out the greed bean bundles, which I LOVE, but take so much time. Farmer H can do without them. Genius is the one who expects that dish, and he won't be with us this year. So I'm making all this for just ME and FARMER H and THE PONY! But they've come to expect these dishes. The potato salad was a last-minute addition, because The Pony loves it, and I had all the ingredients to use for other things anyway.

Our turkey is 11.75 pounds, and I got it FREE by spending way too much at Country Mart! No eggnog for me, but I love Sister Schubert! Happy Thanksgiving to you, and I will think of you as I devour my leftovers for four days.

***
Sioux,
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! I think maybe you just had a really old onion. I had an odd one today, like the rings were repelling each other. And they were limp. So off the back porch it went!

***
River,
Yes, and I'm sure it would have been delicious, and I heaved several sighs of relief after cleaning up.

Heh, heh! That reminds me of a T-shirt that says:
"I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself."

River said...

:) :) :)