Thursday, November 25, 2021

MAYDAY At 1600 Hours!

Which is, I think, military time for 4:00 p.m. It was actually 4:33 when I sent Farmer H the text. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Wednesday was quite busy for Mrs. HM. I had to be up NO LATER THAN 11:30 a.m.! No hitting the snooze button. I had many side dishes to pre-prepare.

First cat out of the bag, I popped my baby carrots into a black speckled roaster pan, with a dash of vegetable oil (because they're vegetables, heh, heh!) and some powdered Hidden Valley Ranch. Then I cut up three onions into wedges, and added them with another sprinkle of Hidden Valley. I put five small potatoes in a pan to boil, and took the larger ones to sit beside my laptop HIPPIE at the kitchen table, and peel and chunk to add to the roasting carrots and onions. With another sprinkle of Hidden Valley, before draping a package of bacon over the top, and shoving that roaster in the oven. Gee, my house smelled terrific!

I spent an hour peeling 24 eggs I had boiled on Tuesday. Details forthcoming elsewhere, perhaps. By that time the potatoes were boiled, and I set them in the sink drainer to cool while I showered and went to town for my magical elixir.

Once home, it was nearing 4:00. I whipped up some delicious potato salad. Then cut a bunch of Oreos in half to surround the base of the Oreo Cake I was about to start. I had the mixer and bowl and spatula all ready. I chopped some more Oreos to go in the batter. My plan was to get that cake in the oven, and let it bake while I deviled the eggs. 

I grabbed my cake mix I had bought 2-for-1 last week. Wait a minute! Did they change the box on my Betty Crocker Fudge Cake? WHAT??? That traitorous box said FUDGE BROWNIES! I had been tricked into buying brownies instead of cake! How was I going to make The Pony his special Oreo Cake? I tried to call Farmer H, but he wouldn't answer his phone. So I sent a text saying he wouldn't answer his phone, and I really needed to talk to him. He sent a text back that he was almost home. What good would THAT do me?

When he came in the door, I told him he needed to go back to town and get a box of cake mix. Betty Crocker. Any of Triple Chocolate, Devil's Food, or Fudge. CAKE MIX, not brownies! He took a picture of the box, and left. When he came back, he had a box of MILK CHOCOLATE cake mix, and FUDGE cake mix. Which was fine.

"I think somebody messed up, and only ordered FUDGE! That's all I could find. And that chocolate one."

Anyhoo... crisis narrowly averted. I don't know what time Country Mart was closing. But almost nothing is open on Thanksgiving Day. So good thing I didn't wait until Thursday morning to start that cake. The Pony would have been sorely disappointed!

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Next Thanksgiving, The Pony can host the feast. Make that change known now, so he can prepare for it...

Enjoy the turkey, stuffing, the veggies, the Oreo cake. The deviled eggs and the potato salad... Ugh.

River said...

You could have surprised The Pony with Oreo Fudge Brownie cake. I would have.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's right! He should be living in Pony House by then! However... that would mean The Pony chooses the menu. We'd each be having our own box of Stove Top Stuffing, Sister Schubert's Rolls with a scrap of ham if we're lucky, room-temperature potato salad, and frozen cheesecake slices.

I'm not a fan of the Oreo Cake. I'd much rather heap my dessert plate with DEVILED EGGS and POTATO SALAD!

***
River,
I actually planned to do that for about 10 seconds! Then I figured it would be the shortest "cake" ever, and might break when trying to put one layer on top of the other. I didn't want to spoil The Pony's day off, and the feast he'd been anticipating.